*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2169353-Assignment-1-Exploring-Your-Characters
Rated: 18+ · Assignment · Romance/Love · #2169353
Introducing my characters, my interpretations of romance and erotica, and public meeting.
Assignment 1: Part One:
Pick two characters you are going to become intimate with for the next six weeks. Name them and give them some background information. Write a mini character profile [2 paragraph max] for each character, from their own point of view. Things to think about in regards to your characters: What do they want? What are they looking for? What is their life like? Remember this is self-discovery, not how one sees the other, but how they each see themselves. What makes them tick? Label one character "A", the other "B".

Character A

My name is Nathen Johnson. I prefer to be called Nate. I am a Business major at Gannon University in Erie Pennsylvania. I am studying to be a lawyer and am expected to become a partner in my father’s business law firm. I’m not a fan of this plan but he is paying my way through college so what choice do I have?

I am looking for a man willing to let me be myself. I want someone who will love me unconditionally. This is tough for me because my father is not accepting of my sexual orientation. I came out to him when he caught me fooling around with one of my male class mates. He threatened to cut me off so I broke things off with him. Ever since then I have done my best to toe the line until I graduate or at least to fly under the radar when I can’t help myself. I would like to find someone whom I love enough to stand up to my father to be with.

Character B

My name is Braiden Buchanan. I am a Law student at Gannon University. I intend to become a legal advocate for those in the LGBTQ community. I work as a part time paralegal for a Lawyer who specializes in those cases.

I am looking for someone to share my life with. I prefer men but I am not apposed to women. An experienced lover does not bother me but I am not apposed to being guide through what can be a very confusing and lonely time. I enjoy exploration and experimentation. It would be wonderful if I could find someone else who also enjoys those things.

Part Two:
Describe your interpretation of Romance, including what your expectations are when you read a romance novel. Do the same for Erotic fiction. Tell me how you think the two genres can be brought together, what elements need to be focused on. This need not be extensive, just enough information for us to work with over the next six weeks.

My interpretations of romance tend to lean toward the traditional. Someone who will pull out a chair or hold a door. A relationship that is more like a partnership in which each person takes care of the other’s needs. When I read a romance novel I expect the two members of a couple to end up together. At the end of a romance novel I am expecting the couple to remain together until death do they part.

My interpretation of erotica is a bit different. When I read an erotic novel I am expecting to be aroused by the sex scenes. As long as that happens I can overlook any short comings the two people involved may have. I don’t typically expect the relationship to last beyond the pages of the novel itself. Even if the story spans across three or four novels.

Part Three:
Write a 1000-word scene. Put them in a public environment: coffee shop, school, work, church, anywhere they can interact, but are not alone. They will arrive separately at their destination, and are familiar with each other. Explore that meeting. Who starts the conversation? What happens as they converse? Do they try to hide off in the corner for privacy? Let the dialog flow, concentrate on setting the scene, and describing how they interact with each other. Only use the point of view of character "A".If sparks are flying, show that.

Nathen sat in one of the front row seats of his Business Law class. He did his best to pay attention to the professor’s droning, but his attention kept shifting to the grad student sitting at the computer in the left corner of the front of the room. His name was Braiden Buchanon, and he was so hot. Nathen found himself daydreaming about running his fingers through Braiden’s thick dark hair while tasting his kisses. He knew he should be taking notes on the lecture topic but his pen kept slipping into the margins and scribbling things he’d like to say to the handsome TA. He was jarred out of his musings by a sudden surge of movement around him. The class was over, students were packing up and leaving. The prominent bulge in his pants kept him in his seat. In an attempt to by time he set his satchel in his lap and slipped his notebook inside. He glanced around to make sure everyone was gone.

Oh no, the TA is still in his seat. Nathen watched him to see if he looked his way. The man’s eyes were glued to the monitor. Nathen slid out of his chair, making sure to keep his bag in front of him. He just reached the door of the classroom when the creak of a chair drew him up short. He looked back over his shoulder into the Braiden’s dark blue eyes. Still seated at the computer, Braiden stared up at him. He stood slinging his satchel onto his shoulder and strolled up to Nathen.

“Nathen, right?” The Scottish bur in his voice rolled the r in right.

“Yeah,” Nathen said. He looked up into the clean-shaven face of the man who now stood a few inches taller. A surge of excitement ran through him. He knows my name. His conscience sobered him. Of course, he does! He’s taken the roll every day since class started. Nathen did his best to keep himself grounded.

“Do you have to be in a class right now?”

“No,” Nathen said. Why? He wondered.

“Will you join me for a cup of coffee?”

In his mind Nathen pumped his fist into the air and screamed Yes! Aloud he said, “Um, sure.”

“Great,” Braiden smiled and held up a set of keys. “We can take my car.”

“Oh, no, I’ll meet you there,” Nathen followed Braiden out of the classroom and down the hall.

“As you wish,” Braiden said.

“That was a great movie,” Nathen laughed.

“The Princess Bride is one of my favorites,” Braiden agreed.

Nathen followed Braiden the short distance to a Mom & Pop coffee shop. They ordered iced coffees and sat at a table in the back. Braiden surprised him by sitting in the chair beside him. He glanced around to see if anyone was looking as he felt the other man’s arm slide across the back of his chair.

“Am I making you uncomfortable?”

“A little,” Nathen said. The masculine smell of Braiden’s cologne or after shave filled his nose and made him feel a bit light headed. The feel of his lips and breath on his ear brought Nathen’s erection back to full mast. He rested a hand in his lap for cover. “Aren’t you worried about offending someone?”

“Would they be offended if you were a woman?” Braiden’s hand gave Nathen’s shoulder a gentle squeeze. “We shouldn’t have to hide our public displays of affection any more than they do.”

He made a good point. Nathen nodded and smiled up at him. “Any tips on how to be comfortable.”

“Well,” Braiden said. He slipped a finger into the slip knot of Nathen’s tie and pulled it loose. “There, that’s better. Do you always dress like this?”

“Not on the weekend,” Nathen said. He gulped as Braiden unbuttoned the top button of his dress shirt. “I wear blue jeans and t-shirts.”

“That sounds more like you,” Braiden said. “You look hot but the suit is just a bit too stuffy for you.”

Nathen eyed him. “I thought we were supposed to dress for the job we want.”

“When you interview or work in an actual law office.” Braiden sipped his coffee. “But in classes you can just dress like this.” He gestured to his own attire; khaki pants and a polo shirt. “It’s still a bit stuffy but it’s a lot more relaxed than the three-piece suit.”

Nathen attempted to cool his blood with a long drink of his iced coffee.

“Were you able to follow the lecture today?”

“What? Oh, sort of.”

“Perhaps I can help you fill in the blanks?” Braiden held out his hand. “Let me see your notes.”

“Sure,” Nathen said. He opened his bag and pulled out the notebook. It was open to the page he’d been scribbling on. He froze when he saw the notes in the margins. I can’t let him see this. He’ll laugh at me. “On second thought, maybe I should clean up my notes first.”

“Okay,” Braiden said. He pulled a pen from his shirt pocket and scribbled something on a napkin. He slid it toward Nathen. “Why don’t you come to my place Friday night? That’ll give you time to clean up your notes.”

What am I doing? Nathen rested his fingers on the opposite edge of the thin paper square containing an address and phone number. It’s just a study meeting. He told himself. More like a study date. His conscience corrected. It’s for academic purposes. Nathen argued with himself as he drew the napkin toward him, folded it, and tucked it in the front pocket of his pants. “Sounds good.”

“Perhaps, we could watch the Princess Bride afterward?” Braiden suggested. “And have dinner?”

“That would be fun,” Nathen said. He knew this could get him into a lot of trouble with his father. If he found out Nathen was once again indulging in what he considered derelict behavior he would cut him off.
© Copyright 2018 Vixey Todd (jlh1982 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2169353-Assignment-1-Exploring-Your-Characters