*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2169688-Enchanted
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Family · #2169688
You never know who you might run into one day as Pearl found out
Enchanted,

By Angela Adame

One summer night the breeze was warm blowing softly on Pearl as she took one of her walks. She came upon a beautiful small river that made the rocks in it look like they were twice the size. Crossing the small river trying to balance on each rock as the water splashes on her feet.
There stood a dilapidated shack in her view, it was so old looking that if you were not from the town you would think it would be ready to fall. An old woman lives inside she always wore out of date dresses with her colorful crochet shawl.

The townspeople labeled her the town witch because she is always out at night and if she sees you she will kill you. Pearl didn't believe the people for they were always gossiping of something if you didn't please them. She got near the shack seeing the old windows hanging off their hinges with major cracks around the frames and the front door that barley closed due to rotted edges.

A broken handle with a small hole that you can see right through. She felt sad for the old woman, she saw the ragged dog barking, the old woman came out yelling, Get out or I will sick my dog on you and that's that. That did not frighten Pearl walking towards the shack, the dog barking louder the old woman on her half broken front porch step a shovel on her left hand and lantern on her right hand.

The old woman yelled out who are you and why in Sam hill do you pester me? Pearl saying I mean you no harm my name is Pearl I live right across the river, when I can't sleep I like to take night walks, like I said I mean you no harm. The old woman raising her voice I have no visitors that come see me so you get out now.

Pearl softly speaking I know your alone since I'm here how about getting to know each other a little better? No, go away the old woman yelled out. The ragged dog still barking and wagging his tail at the same time. See your dog likes me now why can't you give me a chance? Silence came over the old woman for a second then calmly said I have no friends and that's the way I like it you hear?

Pearl bent down to pet the musty old dog that has a yellow bandanna around his neck. Your dog likes me now isn't that a good sign? The old woman put her half broken shovel down and walked back in the shack placing the lantern on her uneven wobbly table.
She turned around looking at Pearl, Well are you going to come in? You might as well your right at the front door, smiling. Pearl took a liking to the old woman fast. She reminded her of her own grandmother who just passed away.

Thank you my name is Pearl, what is yours? The old woman said, I know your name you told me it already and they say I'm old and forgetful. Well you might as well know my name then, I am Claire, well finally said Pear, extending her hand out.
Both sat down on the wobbly chairs getting to know each other a little better. Claire you're a nice person I say the towns people are just wrong about you. Oh really, Claire said, what are they calling me know? They call you a witch and will kill on first site.
Claire started to laugh and slurred out, no wonder I have no visitors, both laughing even the ragged dog let out a bark wagging his tail. Claire you know with all the spring flowers blooming you could really turn this old shack into a very cute cottage.

What Claire said, yeah, said Pearl. We should make this shack into the most enchanting cottage that you only see in them fancy home magazines. Oh child don't let your imagination run wild Claire giggled. This old thing is about to fall. Nonsense Pearl yelled out, we could have this place in tip top shape in no time I guarantee you.
Pearl left Claire's place and thinking on her way home how she was going to fix that beat up shack, ideas came to mind
Number 1. Nails
Number 2. Hammer
Number 3. Flowers
Number 4. Sand Paper

That sounds about good saying to herself. Arrival of the following day Pearl went into her garage to get all that she needed to get Claire's run down shack on its way, putting some items in her small red wagon, heading through the small river water splashing all over.
She saw Claire sweeping her porch with her old crummy broom that only a few bristles, it seen better days. Good morning Claire, good morning dear. What do you have their? I brought some items to use to get this place in ship shape order. Enchanted cottage here we come, Claire let out a small giggle.

OK, Claire I'm going to work on these ugly window seals, then your windows will be as new. They both started fixing the old shack to its best. Hanging flower pots and herbs around the front porch. Getting the front garden in shape with all the beautiful spring flowers.
Well Claire were doing a good job so far I think. I will be here all week to do the painting inside and outside of this place. I'm so excited. Child you have done so much you have a heart of gold. They continued only to stop for a small lunch, Pearl left that night.

She returned the next day and Claire and the shack were gone, no sign of the ragged dog either. Calling out to Claire just to hear silence, maybe this was the wrong turn she thought. She was about to head back, turning her head once more to where the shack was she seen a note on the tree.

Walking to the tree and reading the note. "Only a few have a heart of gold therefore you will be rewarded in the end"
Pearl did not understand and did not know what to think, until she walked into town where she saw the same saying on the church panel.
The End!

© Copyright 2018 Angela Adame (kittyrose35 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2169688-Enchanted