*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2170587-Responsible-Rebellion
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Parenting · #2170587
Daily Flash Fiction Challenge entry. Prompt: Include the words shell, door, bed.

Taylor had always been a good kid. She did her homework, went to church on the weekends, and volunteered for after-school programs every chance she got. That’s why her father was so surprised to open her bedroom door one evening to find her halfway out the window.

“Dad!” she cried. “You’re supposed to knock!”

“I think we have a more pressing matter to discuss right now,” her father said. He sat down on her bed and patted the spot next to him. Taylor sighed and hoisted herself back through the window, plopping down next to him.

“Who’s the guy?” he asked.

She looked at him in surprise.

“How did you know?”

“I seriously doubt you’re trying to sneak out to study at the library.”

Taylor blushed. “His name is Tim.”

“And he treats you well?”

“C’mon, Dad,” she said, rolling her eyes. “I wouldn’t be sneaking out to see a boy if he was a jerk.”

Her father smiled.

“Okay,” he said. “Here’s the deal. Nothing more than kissing, home by eleven... and make sure you use a ladder or something so you don’t fall and break your leg.”

Taylor thought about it and nodded. “I can do that.”

Her father patted her leg and got to his feet.

“You’re a good kid and I trust you,” he said. “And for what it’s worth, you’ve always been outgoing with school and activities, but it’s nice to see you get out of your shell a little. You know, socially.”

She stood up and gave him a hug.

“Thanks, Dad.”

“Hey, we all need a little teenage rebellion in our lives. As long as you do it responsibly.”


------------------------------

282 words

Prompt: Write a story of 300 words or less which includes the words shell, door, bed.

Originally written for "Daily Flash Fiction Challenge and "I Write in 2018.

© Copyright 2018 Jaeff | KBtW of the Free Folk (jeff at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2170587-Responsible-Rebellion