*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2171271-Liver-and-Onions
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2171271
Is hunger always the best appetizer?

Liver and Onions!

My stomach grumbled, and I swear I could feel the insides of my stomach clinching together. I was starving. My wife heard the growl and raised her eyebrows, taking her eyes off the road.

"Hungry?"

"Sure am!" I said, thinking of dinner. Then I remembered the last time my mother-in-law had us over for dinner. Liver and onions! My shrunken belly tightened in a ball as a queasiness travelled up my throat.

"I'm sure she won't be cooking liver and onions again?" I said with a quivering voice. I could still feel the grainy liver texture in my mouth. The stench!

"Nah. That's rare." Lorraine, patted my hand and gave me her reassuring smile, soothing my anxiety as we pulled into her mom's drive.

I followed Lorraine, and as she opened the front door I was hit with the stink of frying liver. I nearly gagged and grabbed my wife's arm.

"She's cooking liver again," I hissed quietly.

She raised her nose, sniffing the air. How she wasn't overpowered by the noxious fumes, I don't know. "Oh. You're right," she said, nodding her head. Her face lit up in a smile. "It'll be fine, James. C'mon," she said, dragging on my arm.

Panicking I looked down the empty hallway. No one knew we had arrived. "Let's get out before it's too late," I whispered.

A grin spread across Lorraine's evil face, and I hissed, "No! Please..."

"Mom, we're here," she yelled.

My jaw unhinging, her mother emerged into the hallway wiping her hands on her apron. "I made your favourite, James. I'm glad you told me, Lorraine." My dear mother-in-law laughed, linking my arm. "James, I was so surprised. You only picked at it last time."

"Oh, he's really hungry today, Mom," my malevolent wife replied.





© Copyright 2018 Myles Abroad (mylesabroad at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2171271-Liver-and-Onions