*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2171810-Sophie
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2171810
Flash Fiction
Sophie

"Tell me where you hid the money." Joe said, to Sophie.

Trusting brown eyes looked up at him, questioningly.

“Don’t give me that look, I know you know what I’m talking about!” Joe yelled. He closed his eyes willing himself to calm down.

He needed that money today. If he didn’t pay the bill today it would go to collection. It had taken him three weeks to beg and borrow enough from family and friends. If it went to collection it was going to be bad. He heard they sometimes contact your employer. He was on shaky ground with Ryetec now, this would put him on the top of the downsize list. “Sophie!” Then he took a deep breath and said quietly, “Where did you hide the money, Honey?”

Sophie just sat there, obviously concerned, but still quiet.

“You were playing with the mail again weren’t you. How many times have I asked you not to play with the mail? That letter that went under the sofa was very important. I don’t look for mail under the sofa. I never even clean there. But I’m not angry,” he said, quieter, “I just need to know where you put the money. That little red envelope that I always keep on my desk. Where is it?”

Sophie, suddenly vomited. “Sophie! Are you alright? I didn’t mean to upset you, Honey.” He ran to her. “It’s OK, Daddy will take care of you.” He reached down picking her up and carried her to the kitchen. She threw up again just as he got to the sink. Out came shreds of red and green.

“Sophie!! You ate my money???!!!” Then looking into her suddenly frightened eyes, “It’s, OK Honey, Daddy will take care of you.”

The puppy looked up at him, full of love.
© Copyright 2018 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2171810-Sophie