*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2172461-DC-FT--A-Test-of-Island-Courage
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by RisanF
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Action/Adventure · #2172461
To honor a vow, Andy challenges an underground labyrinth on a treasure hunt.
Different and Cool FT: A Test of Island Courage

By Reid M. Haynes




Note: Some elements of this story are influenced by Japanese Anime (characters with technicolor hair, etc)

The story so far:
8th grade student Andrew Champion knew he was in for a wild ride when he decided to befriend Tarah Reichardt, the nerdiest girl in school. But he could've never guessed how special his new friend was. Tarah is actually the gatekeeper of another world called Broodring, home of the tree of life, Yggdrasil. Now, with the help of his martial arts trainer Maru Mari, Andy explores his relationship with Tarah both in school and in the realm of the fantastic tales.

(Read the other “Different and Cool” stories for details)

*****


         It was a voice that chilled him to his very soul.

         "Uwee hee hee hee hee...!" The dulcet snickering that warbled from the darkness was at once inviting and menacing, a psychotic beckoning from the madhouse's open doors. The long hallway was open to all adventurers, yet Andrew Champion found his feet glued to the ground, trembling with an undefinable horror. He had been full of bravado getting here, breaking away from his mother to challenge the rocks and ledges of the cave leading to the underground labyrinth. Yet minutes had passed, standing here, and all he could do was listen to the strange cackling, growing louder and louder.

         "Do you want to play with a new toy?" the voice cooed, and Andy could almost feel the cold breath on his skin. "Do you want to play with your life? Uwee hee hee hee hee! Come get the toy, little child!"

         Andy whimpered, falling backwards to catch himself on his hands, skinning them something awful. He stared with horror as a slender, gloved hand emerged from the murky mists enveloping the hallway, as if to grasp his heart and crush it in its fingers.

         "I'm always waiting..." The voice continued, reaching for him. "Come get it, if you can!"

         "What are you doing down here?!" a second, more passionate voice broke forth like a light in the darkness, and Andy turned from his tears of terror to find a large figure hovering over him. "Gotta getcha out of this place!" Dragging him up with a jolt of strength, the figure aimed a glare at the dark stranger, eyes flashing with parental fury. "Go creep out someone else's kid, loser!" The shout seemed to amuse the stranger, though it skulked back into the shadows as the intervening hero pulled Andy by the arm back towards the surface.

         Five minutes later, the two were back outside, on a small island in the center of a grand lake featuring a smattering of palm trees, underbrush, and stones, like a miniature tropical getaway. Andy fidgited on a large stone and looked at his mother, who was sitting on a fallen log and holding her chest from her exertion. Her eyebrows were still furrowed, and she brushed aside her ocean-colored hair, which reached all the way down her back like a tidal wave. Completing this vibrant image were her crystal blue eyes, ones that held significant frustration, along with a remnant of fear for her son's safety.

         "Hokay, time for a good ol' fashioned Mom lecture," she started, turning to Andy with a glare. "Andy, what were you thinking? I told you those ruins are too dangerous for you right now!"

         "Hey, you're the one who tells me to keep tryin' new things!" Andy shot back, leaning forward with sudden indignation. "You know, 'Andy, you're an explorer, and you've always gotta keep pushing'?!"

         "Within reason!" she snapped, throwing her hands in the air. "You don't start going after the final boss before you've cleared Level 1!" The woman sighed, palming her face and shaking her head. "Ah, dumb kid!"

         "Sorry, okay!?" Andy muttered, though he could feel the truth in her words even through his cocoon of ego. "Just get off my case, Mom!"

         Rachael Champion propped herself up on her elbows, leaning into her cheek and peering at her son. "What made you wanna go into that cave, anyway?" she asked, curiosity overriding the parental scolding in her voice. "Aren't you still claustrophobic?"

         "I...heard a voice," he confessed, with only a moment's pause. He usually felt no hesitation when talking to his mom. "It sounded like it was calling for me. I think...there's something really cool down there, like some sort of treasure or somethin'. I wanted to see if I could get it, then that guy started talking."

         "Yeah, and it's probably a good thing I showed up when I did!" Rachael said, folding her arms. "You could've been toast!"

         Andy slammed his fist against his knee. "Darn it, I'm such a wimp!" he wailed. "I really thought I could take on the dungeon, but I chickened out. If Justin, Jermaine, and Slick find out about this, I'll never live it down."

         Rachael sighed with sympathy, rising up from the log she was sitting on and walking over to Andy. "C'mon, it ain't that bad," she said, resting a hand on his shoulder. "You're still growing, and I gotta raise you right so you're ready for these things. So you can't take on the cave yet, big deal! Just grow up a bit, and try again!"

         Andy looked up at his mom, hope dancing in his eyes. "Think so, Mom?" he asked.

         The spritely, thirty-year-old woman grinned, an expression suitable for her youthful appearance. "I have high hopes for you," she told him. "You're gotten this far, and I know you'll be ready for Hard Mode soon enough! In the meantime, keep pushing forward, with Justin, Jermaine, and Slick. Heck, maybe you'll even get a girlfriend along the way."

         "Ugh, girls!" Andy groused, spitting his disgust. "They're always so prissy and weird."

         "Andy, you're eleven-years-old!" Rachael scolded him, flicking him on the nose. "You may not be old enough for the cave, but you're way too old for that stuff. Time to get over the cooties, kid. Five years ago, in fact!"

         "Well, they're not all cool like you," he argued, a touch of apology in his tone. "Wish they were, though."

         "They'll surprise you one day." The woman bore a wry smirk on her face as she reached out to her son. "And you'll surprise ME one day, Andy."

         Andy grinned. "You know I will!" he crowed.

         He took his mother's hand, and shook it.

*****


         Three years had gone by, but not everything Andy's mother had hoped for came to pass. Rachael and Matthew Champion died in a car accident soon afterwords, and Andy was left an orphan, to be raised by his aunt and uncle. Jermaine Jones moved away, and Andy was currently on the outs with Justin and Slick, who were not quite as loyal today as they were back then. Still, the spirit Rachael had seen in her son shone true, and Andy continued to look for a path to become stronger.

         And by his side, funny enough, were two girls.

         "Oh, this is damascus steel!" Tarah's eyes widened behind her large glasses, and she ran a finger over the wavy patterns of the metal blade. "I wonder where they found metal with enough impurities to undergo the process?"

         "Uh, can'tcha just make it with any old'metal?" Mari frowned, squinting at the knife Tarah held in her hand.

         "No no, you need a special chemical compound to even start." Tarah shook the knife dangerously close at Mari, like a teacher with a yardstick. "You would've known this if you stayed awake in chemistry class, you know."

         "Oh well, excuse me!" Mari huffed, turning her head in a swish of forest-green hair. "So I'm not Ms. Science Whiz, so what?"

         Andy stifled a laugh, and turned back towards the counter, where the shop-keep had almost finished appraising the weapon he had given him. The three teens were at an old weapon shop on the outskirts of town, a throwback to a long gone age of war that had enveloped Starlight City. Many powerful blades were made during this period, with craftsmanship that exceeded most modern metalwork. Now, this lone weapon shop kept the tradition alive, and the small wooden shack was filled to the brim with swords, clubs, flails, and axes, all created in the old style.

         The shopkeeper was behind the counter again, his meaty forearms belying kind spirit. "Almost done, boy," he said, smiling down at him from his gargantuan height of six and a half feet. "Just one thing. Where did you say you found this again?"

         "In the aqueducts below Starlight City," Andy explained, trying to decide how much he wanted to tell him about his exploits. "I got stuck down there during the earthquake two months ago, and I found it on a suit of armor."

         "Wow, a lucky find for so unlucky a kid!" The shop-keep laughed heartily, his shoulders shaking with each guffaw. Turning away for a moment, he picked up the rusted sword Andy had given him. "Well, looks like you got yourself a falchion here," he told the boy, bringing the weapon back to the counter. "Authentic from the Starlight Wars era, too. I gotta say, pretty good condition for its age."

         "Do you think you can repair it?" Andy asked, trying to push to the point.

         "Oh, given a few days, I can fix it up no problem!" The shop-keep assured him. "It'll cost you a pretty penny, though."

         "I've saved up a little." Andy shrugged, offering a small smile.

         "Ambitious lad!" The brawny man laughed again, grinning widely. "But I wonder what a youngin' like you wants with a blade like this?" he continued, taking the sword back to the pile of weapons that had yet to be worked on. "You do look the part, though, like a real fighter. I tell ya, martial arts is always good for the youth!"

         "W-Well..." Andy stammered for a moment, trying to think of an answer, when he heard two sets of footfalls coming from behind. He whirled to find Mari and Tarah before him, looking rather strung out with each other. "Andrew, Mari says that nobody needs to know about chemical reactions in damascus steel to pass Chemistry," she said, her glasses magnifying her imploring stare. "Can you tell her that everybody needs to keep up with science to stay smart?"

         "I have plenty of smarts!" Mari huffed her exasperation. "Better to have street smarts than book smarts!"

         "Hey, book smarts are important!" Tarah protested, whirling towards her with a swing of her pigtails. "And science books are really fun to read, too."

         "Champ, can you please deal with her?" Mari pleaded with him. "I've already explained that I'm a sporty gal, not a smarty pants!"

         "No way, I'm staying out of this one." Andy put up his hands to ward them off. "Besides, I think the guy's gonna be able to repair my sword."

         "Hey, why did you want to fix the sword anyway, Andrew?" Tarah asked, leaning forward in that distinctive matter of hers wherein she would intrude upon your personal bubble without realizing it. "Are you interested in blacksmithing? That's kinda a science too, you know."

         "Yeah, Tarah said you found it during the earthquake?" Mari added, joining her former intellectual opponent in her interrogation of Andy. "You becoming a sword collector or somethin'?"

         "Not exactly." Andy averted his eyes, not sure how he wanted to explain this. "I think I have a use for it."

         "Is it about the dream you had the other night?" Tarah prodded him, and Andy looked back at her, surprised she had made the connection. "About your dead Mom, and the island cave?"

         "Eh?" Mari raised an eyebrow at the new information. "You're going over there? You never told ME about this, Champ."

         "Hey boy, come on over to the register!" the shop-keep interrupted, and Andy turned his head to find the man waiting by the cash register. "Payment's in advance here."

         "Oh, right." Andy walked away from the glass weapons counter, tossing a quick wave behind him. "Be right back," he told Mari and Tarah.

         "Huh, Andy's acting real weird today," Mari mumbled, putting a hand to her chin. "Wonder if he's still hyped up on that old action movie we watched a few nights ago. 'Adventurer: Tales of Corin Randolf' I think?"

         "Hmmmmm..." Tarah frowned at her sneakers, deep in thought.

*****


         The cool March winds tugged at Andy's brown parka as he surveyed his destination from the small dinghy he had used to cross the lake. Glimmering in the noontime sky, the solitary island of the lake was unchanged from three years ago; he could see the log his mother had sat on as she lectured him about his overconfidence. The cave remained as gloomy and shadowed as ever, just as intimidating as it was three years ago. Even now, it brought out old feelings of dread from deep inside.

         But things were different now. Andy growled down his fear, reaching back for the hilt of the newly-restored falchion strapped to his back, complete with a leather scabbard designed to split when he drew the blade. He was prepared, having taken on many challenges since then, participating in some very real fights. He wasn't the same bratty eleven-year-old, but a new man, full of purpose and hope.

         And he had made a promise to his mother. One that was long overdue.

         Andy stood a moment more at the entrance to the cave, and tugged at the white bandanna given to him by Maru Mari as proof of his determination. Then, with a hero's gait, he strode into the darkness, ready for the next set of challenges life had prepared for him.

         It was easier than last time crawling though the dirt and branches leading deeper underground. Andy had built up considerable strength from his training with Mari; he was no stranger to a tough time. The boy dropped a good five feet from a ledge, and slid under some exposed roots from a tree above-ground, sweeping his portable light through the darkness. Finding nothing impeding his path, he made himself walk forward, conjuring up a front of fearlessness, for his own benefit rather than anything else.

         Before long, he had arrived at the sullen stone hallways that made up the entrance to the labyrinth. The walls had the same ancient architecture he remembered; it was a motif that only remained in picture books spinning yarns of knights and dragons. In the back of his mind, he recalled the aqueducts Tarah, Justin, Slick, and himself had been trapped in two months ago, noting their similar styles. Danger had been present in that dungeon as well, and he had to fight off otherworldly foes just to survive.

         Though he had reached the point where the dark stranger had taunted him in years past, the stranger didn't appear to be here today. Glad he didn't have to confront his childhood fear just yet, the boy continued onward, past the point where a young Andrew Champion had cowered on the very edge of adventure. With the portable light guiding his way, he walked at a brisk pace until he reached a turn in the hallway. Following the path laid out for him, he continued onward through the dungeon...and soon met with a sight that was amazing even to his jaded teen eyes.

         Arriving at the end of the hallway, Andy could see before him a large chamber filled with gears, cogs, and various mechanisms from a long lost era in Starlight City history, and it was all lit with torch-mounted orbs powered by an unknown source. The floor was laid with brown floor tiles, each bearing an ornate pattern that added some majesty despite its age. Lining the walls were humanoid automata, resembling bronze knights wielding the same ancient weaponry he had seen in the weapon shop a few days ago. At the far end of the room was a pair of large double-doors that looked like they needed a dozen men to even budge them, and they were closed tight, denying any further exploration of the labyrinth.

         With trepidation, Andy entered this strange new world, glancing left and right at the automata like they were to come alive at any moment and crush him. The helmets of the bronze knights were affixed with horns and spikes, a menacing choice for silent guardians. Still, he continued onward to the double-doors, frowning at their size and suspected weight. A tug on the doors confirmed his suspicions; they weren't going to move for the likes of him.

         Undaunted, Andy looked about the chamber for any hint on how to solve this puzzle. Much of the room had a uniform style, with nothing obvious standing out like a button or lever. And yet, there was something in-congruent in the presentation of the metal automata. Although most of the knights carried various types of swords, only one was wielding an axe, a large battle axe, in fact. The axe was shiny and reflective, a far cry from the mottled texture of the other knights' weaponry, and he could see his own curiosity reflected in the gleaming axe-head.

         "Maybe if I..." Andy mumbled to himself, then walked over to the lone, axe-wielding automaton. Pulling at the axe's shaft, he was surprised to find it twist in his hand, as if he were operating some sort of mechanism. From behind, a heavy, creaking sound echoed throughout the chamber like a groaning, iron giant. Andy turned towards the sound and grinned; the doors were opening up, revealing another hallway leading deeper into the dungeon.

         Andy left the bronze axe knight behind and strode towards the doors, his step a mite springier. But no sooner had he reached the end of the room when he heard another sound, a cacophony of screeching metal like panicked cave bats. Andy turned back towards the automata, and his heart leapt in his chest as he spied red eyes glimmering from their close helmets. The automata were becoming truly automatic, their gears and shafts whining as they lurched towards the green-haired lad.

         With their weapons brought up to bear.

         "Oh man..." he whispered.

         The automata marched forward.

         He gaped for a second at the incoming wave of rusting metal, then turned tail and ran towards the recently revealed hallway, hoping to create some distance between him and his new adversaries. A tactic that was in vain, for even more automata were lying in wait for him just down the hall, wielding the same assortment of swords, blades, and cleavers. Andy cried out and skid to a stop, a slash from a knight's rusty blade arcing a mere inch from the tip of his nose. But he grit his teeth, swallowed his fear, and reached for the falchion on his back, the specially-designed scabbard opening up for an easy sword draw.

         The gleaming, restored blade shone in the dim light of the labyrinth, and Andy brought up its curved edge against a swinging, bronze sword. The surface of the blade reflected the boy's determination as he warded off the knight's blow, the collision of bronze and steel sending out sparks that sprinkled onto the floor. With a shout, Andy raised his falchion, and brought it down through the automaton armor, the rusted plates giving way to the blade's honed edge. Andy's strength was true, and the automaton was shredded with a shriek of scrap metal, ready for a refuse heap.

         Andy snarled with grim satisfaction, and rushed forward to make his way though the remaining automata. Two more knights were lifting their swords for a pair of one-handed strikes, but Andy was already on them, rending them into shreds with two hefty swings from his falchion. Andy turned to face his next foe, and was just in time to block a blow from a knight's two-handed claymore, straining with the weight from the hefty weapon. With a shove, Andy forced the automaton away, slashed it, before turning around to stab another knight in the gut.

         In a flurry of green-hair and stainless steel, Andy whirled through the ancient automata to the best of his ability, trying to keep a reasonable amount of distance between himself and their weathered, yet sharp swords. "Gotta break through...!" he hissed, spinning around in a circular strike that sent three automata flying back. To his credit, he had managed to break through the first wave of automata, reached a turn in the hallway. Taking a breath, Andy rounded the corner, glad to be done with the current group of adversaries, hoping the remaining challenges were a little bit different.

         This hope was dashed in an instant, for just around the corner, a new adversary was lying in wait for him. In the next chamber, Andy winced as he beheld a much larger automaton knight, this one decked out in sleek silver armor and wielding a long halberd. The knight was clearly powered on, its blue eyes shining from its visor, and it was already honing in on Andy's location. Andy quickly hastened into his fighting stance, with barely enough time to raise his sword as the automaton knight thrust his polearm towards Andy's face, attempting to shish-kabob him.

         KEEEENNN!!! Andy was sent back from the force of the blow, his back hitting the wall with a crunch of crumbling stone. He could feel it in his aching bones; this knight was much stronger than its predecessors, and much better maintained. He briefly wondered who could possibly be keeping this mechanical soldier in such good condition, but the silver knight had already recovered from its titanic strike, and was prepping another for Andy's immediate detriment. Andy tried to climb back to his feet, but the automaton had already pulled the polearm back, the shining axe blade a promise of Andy's doom.

         "No...!" Andy growled, bringing the falchion up in a last ditch effort to ward off the incoming blow. "Not yet...!"

         The silver knight thrust forward.

         (VREEEEE....!) a pulsating, radiating blur tore through the halberd, tearing off the blade from the shaft. The silver knight groaned with mechanical frustration as the object painted a cerulean streak of light across the room, bouncing against the walls like a rubber ball from a prize machine. Flying behind Andy on a trajectory for the entrance of the room, it stopped instantly in the grip of a new individual, becoming distinct, if unfamiliar. It was a glowing ball, about the size of a soccer ball, and something Andy had never seen the likes of.

         Its wielder, however, was instantly recognizable.

         "M-Mari?" Andy stammered, his mouth agape.

         Mari's normally soft features were hardened like baked clay, her eyes as cold as they'd ever been. She was all geared up in the spandex combat suit he had sometimes seen her wear, and her green hair was like a waterfall of leafy fire falling down her back. She pulled back with a snarl, ready to throw the ball again. "Andy, get down!!" she shouted, hurling the ball at the automaton before it could shove its broken halberd shaft at Andy once more.

         Andy goggled as the silver knight staggered back from the force of the impact. Then, Andy found himself being whisked away by a small, green-clad figure, as Mari continued to bounce her makeshift weapon against her makeshift hand-ball court. Once he had stopped moving, he looked up to find his blonde, bespectacled friend, wearing the familiar tank top and cargo shorts he had inwardly dubbed her "adventurer clothes." "Tarah?" he gasped, taking in the young girl's shockingly serious face.

         "Andrew, stay still," she told him, giving him a quick, split-second glance. Then, she darted forward with acrobatic grade, falling in at Mari's side to face off against the silver knight.

         Together, Mari and Tarah stared down the large automata, who still hadn't completely righted itself from Mari's last assault. Flying backwards on one palm, Mari prepared to spring off with the force from her arm as Tarah readied her own jump kick. "FALCON SLIDE!!!!" Mari roared, bolted upwards toward the automaton along with Tarah. "Hyaaaaiii!" Tarah screeched as she joined her kick with Mari's, the two of them in perfect synchronization at they collided against the automaton's armor, creating a reverberating sound throughout the chamber just like a cymbal crash.

         With their united efforts, the silver knight was brought down onto its back, the broken halberd slipping from its gleaming gauntlet. The automaton let out an agonized wail, like a dying whale on a shoreline. With a small gasp, the glowing, blue eyes blinked off, the metal creature returning to its role as mere parts and pieces. Mari huffed with grim satisfaction, then turned with Tarah to face Andy, who was regarding the two girls with abject awe.

         "Whoa...!" Andy gasped, his sword arm falling to his side. "Guess I have more to learn, huh?"

         "That's for sure!" Mari scowled, twirling the glowing combat sphere on her finger. "Champ, what're you doing all alone down here? If Tarah hadn't come and got me, you'd been mincemeat for that mechanical moron!"

         "Yeah, sorry 'bout that," Andy rubbed the back of his head with embarrassment. "How did you know I was here, anyway?"

         "Andrew, you've been talking about that dream about your Mom for the last few days." Tarah blinked at him, as if not understanding what the confusion was.

         "Yeah," Mari said, walking back over to Tarah's side. "Whatdaya think, we're stupid?"

         Andy sighed, feeling dumb himself for underestimating his friends like this. "I just wanted to take on this challenge myself," he admitted, turning away from them to regard the falchion still in his grip. "Back then, I wasn't able to confront the fear in my heart, and I ran, even though I knew there was something special about this cave. Now I'm wiser and stronger, ready to honor Mom's memory and do what I couldn't before. But...it looks like I'm still coming up short."

         With warm eyes amplified by thick frames, Tarah went to Andy's side. "But you aren't just smart and strong, Andrew," Tarah told him, touching his arm. "You have power, wisdom, courage, and friends too! We'll always be with you!"

         "Right!" Mari nodded with an agreeable smile. "We're here to help!"

         "Plus, there's a lot of neat devices in this labyrinth." Tarah motioned towards the silver knight, whose cogs and gears were exposed from the damage Mari and she had inflicted upon it. "I bet we can get a lot of cool stuff to analyze for the next science fair!"

         "Always with the science..." Mari rolled her eyes.

         Andy's laughter filled the room, and he shook his head. "You're right," he said, smiling as he got back to his feet. "I was stupid not to tell you guys about it first."

         "Especially since we have a few gifts for you," Mari agreed, pulling out a small box that she had tied to her back. "Check this out, Champ!"

         "What's that?" Andy asked as Mari opened the box, revealing a set of black and green combat clothes, complete with boots and fingerless gloves.

         "This is Shockbreaker Gear," she told him with a smile, her hand coasting over the slick, black jacket and black pants. "It's inlaid with electrical circuitry that allows you to resist sudden impacts. A little something from my hometown of Neo Aviania. Thought it might fit you."

         "I fixed it up a little with my junior electrician kit!" Tarah bubbled up. "I'm not usually good with electronics, but I was able to figure a few things out, and now it works better than ever!"

         "And this here is the Force Ball." Mari presented the glowing orb for Andy to behold. "My pride and joy, which saved my butt more times than I can count. This one's all mine though." She grinned toothily.

         "Heh, it suits you." Andy smiled in turn, knowing how skilled she was when you gave her anything resembling a soccer ball.

         Walking over to the two girls, the fourteen-year-old fighter thrust out his hand. "Together, let's challenge the labyrinth and take the spoils!" Andy declared, as Mari and Tarah smiled at him. "In the memory of my mother!"

         "Yeah!" Tarah cheered, placing her hand on his.

         "Let's do it!" Mari said, added her hand to Tarah and Andy's.

         And together, the three Starlight teens ventured forth, ready for the forgotten depths of the island labyrinth.

*****


Andy
Level 12
H.P. 729
A.P. 112
Exp to Next Level: 308

-----

Mari
Level 39
H.P. 2,601
A.P. 335
Exp to Next Level: 6,923

-----

Tarah
Level 38
H.P. 2,211
A.P. 412
Exp to Next Level: 5,864

*****


         A muffled thumping could be heard behind a set of double-doors, like mice skittering about the rafters of a warehouse. Picking up the noise with their audio sensors, the bronze automata in the hallway turned towards the sound, raising their weapons with all the caution lifeless machines could muster. Two knights clanked over to the doors with creaking joints...and were subsequently blown apart as an explosion flared out from the doorway, the doors themselves tumbling off their hinges and into some more automata. The eyes of the remaining knights flashed red at they faced down the new arrivals: a green-haired lass whirling a glowing ball on her finger, a blonde girl with pigtails and glasses, and a young, green-haired boy with fierce eyes and brandishing a sharp falchion.

         "Don't want to waste too much time on these clowns." Mari threw a contemptuous look at the knights before them, keeping the Force Ball on the tip of her finger. "We don't know if there's another big boss like that silver guy."

         "Then we gotta make this quick!" Andy, decked out in his new Shockbreaker Gear, gripped his sword with both hands and started out. "Nobody get left behind!"

         "Okay!" Tarah cried, bolting forward with her friend. "Come on, Mari!"

         Together, the three teens rushed the automata with blazing fury, flying through the hall in a whirling dervish. Mari started off with a forceful throw of her Force Ball, the humming sphere colliding against a knight and rebounding back into her cradling arms. "Ho!!!" She next suan through three more knights closing in on her, using her ball to send them flying. A series of spin kicks later, and the athletic girl was making good time through the gauntlet, already leaving her two allies in her dust.

         But Tarah was no slouch in terms of kicks either. Twirling off the ground, she delivered spin kick after spin kick, moving forward with each precise blow. Her flying feet smashed against armor and helmet, tearing up the automata as well as any sword could. "Yah!! Yaaaah!!!" Tarah's kyais filled the hallway, as she advanced upon her foes with a dancer's grace. Her blonde pigtails flew behind her, the red bows affixed to them catching the air like tiny sails.

         Andy, unfortunately, was a bit slower in dealing with the opponents Mari and Tarah had left for him. Two bronze automata were keeping him pinned down, and he had to scramble to knock away their sword strikes. He was still new to dealing with so many opponents at once, and the blades were getting closer and closer to striking a serious blow. Finally, he delivered two sideways swipes, tearing the two knights with a heaving effort, just in time to face the next wave of opponents.

         From the end of the hallway, Tarah watched Andy's struggles with a frown. "Gee, Andrew's having a hard time," Tarah commented, her head tilting off to the side. "I wonder if I should help him?"

         "Nah, he's still in training." Mari folded her arms and snorted, grinning as she watched the knights move about like a brimming broth of bronze. "I guess he just can't keep up with buttkickin' gals llke us!" She put her palm to her mouth and laughed, in a manner more suitable for pampered debutante than a tempered martial artist. "Oh-hohohohoho!!"

         (SHLAAASH!!!) The screech of tattered metal sounded out from behind, and Mari gasped as she spun to find a bronze automata bearing down on her. The knight's sword wobbled, then dropped from its fingers as the entire suit of armor crumpled into a heap of junk. Mari took a step back, looking beyond the knight at Andy, who was looming over his fallen foe with a steely gaze. He pulled his sword back from his follow-through, resting the blunt side on his shoulder.

         "Always keep an eye on your surroundings," Andy intoned, with a wink and a smirk. "You said that, right Master?"

         "Uh...yeah!" Mari laughed nervously, putting a hand to the back of her head. "G-Go, Andy!"

         Tarah giggled.

         Moving as one again, the three teens made their way through the rest of the bronze automata, finally reaching a safe spot in the next hallway, as well as another large door. It was a single, metal slab of a door, like what might be protecting a treasure vault. The door dwarfed the trio and was big enough to squash the three of them, should it ever come loose from its hinges. Something that might've been a welcome happenstance, for the three of them were stuck as it stood.

         Mari gripped her chin, regarding the puzzle with a studious gaze. Her eyes soon fell upon a small ledge jutting out from the right-hand wall, bearing a hand-print indentation. "Jackpot!" she cheered, placing her hand on the indentation.

         "Stop, Mari!!" Tarah shouted, reaching out in vain.

         "Gyaaaaa!!!!" Mari spasmed in pain as a medium-strength electrical shock jolted though her system. "Whoaaa!!" she cried, pulling back her hand, which now sported red welts on the palm. "That's intense!"

         "This is a booby trap!" Tarah said, scowling at Mari. "Not 'booby' as in 'pretty lady', but 'booby' as in 'big electric shock!'"

         "How was I supposed to know that?!" Mari shot back, her hair standing up with the electricity. "It just looks like an activation plate!"

         "The electrical wires are visible on the underside!" Tarah yelled, thrusting a finger at the ledge. "You don't know anything about science!! Why can't you understand?"

         "I don't need to know about all that mumbo jumbo!" Mari snapped, her teeth gnashing. "That's for you grade-grinds, not jocks like me! And it's much better than school stuff."

         "Science is the most important thing in the world!!" Tarah hollered out, her shaking fists balled up at her sides. "You...dummy!!!"

         "Hey, girls, can we cut it short?" Andy reasoned with them, raising his hands up in appeasement. "I wanna get moving again."

         Mari and Tarah whirled around to face him, twin looks of malice carved on their once-gentle faces.

         "Stay out of this, Champ!!" Mari snapped.

         "Andrew, please be quiet!!" Tarah yelled in turn.

         "Geez!" Andy threw up his hands in resignation, as he tried to get some distance between himself and the quarreling girls.

         As Mari and Tarah carried on, Andy decided to take another look at the hand-print apparatus. Blocking out the hollering, he squinted at the wires below the ledge, looking for another trick or trial. He thought he might've found one, as he discovered the wires could be detached from the apparatus with a simple cut from his falchion. Thinking back to what Tarah had taught him about circuitry, he severed the wires from the main system, and placed his hand on the hand-print, which chimed cheerily like a computer file that had just finished downloading.

         "And that's why ants have a strong group consciousness resembling human society that we all can learn from!" Tarah finished up her diatribe to the unresponsive Mari, who was folding her arms in a manner as cold as the bronze automata they had faced off against. Then, her eyes widened, losing their angry glimmer. "...Oh, it's open!"

         "Wha...!" Mari's disposition instantly softened, as she turned around to catch what Tarah was looking at: a newly revealed passage in place of the black steel door. "Ah, that's good. Great, great."

         Following after Andy, the three adventurers kept their eyes sharp and their wits sharper as they entered the new passageway. The hall was descending into a staircase, and the orb-torches were dimmer, casting gloomy shadows on them as they traveled down the steps into the unknown abyss. Tarah had reached Andy's side, and was clutching his arm in nervousness. Andy kept one hand on Tarah's fingers, and another gripping his falchion as they descended the staircase, with Mari and her Force Ball bringing up the rear to keep an eye out for any threats.

         Finally, they reached the end of the staircase, and entered the next chamber. It was a large, square, featureless room, with blue stone this time, and another steel door standing in their way. Unlike the previous hallway, there was no hand-print interface to offer an easy solution. As the three walked to the end of the room, they found no clue or hint that could help solve this conundrum. It looked as though it was just a plain room, with a door as solid as a mountain.

         "Mmm, tough!" Andy snapped his fingers, gritting his teeth. "No way forward."

         "There's gotta be some gimmick to this," Mari said, resting her hands on her hips. "Like a computer game, where there's always a way out...'cept when the programmer screws up and you have to commit suicide."

         "I wish your training helped deal with logical puzzles." Andy regarded his martial arts master with a grimace. "I don't think we can kick this one down."

         "Ah, young caterpillar, you are still just a grub." Mari bowed her head, falling into her classic impression of a wise old sage. "All martial arts training hones the mind as well as the body. You must reach inside, and draw out the hidden tiger!"

         "The switch is up there," Tarah said, pointing towards the ceiling.

         Andy and Mari looked at each other, then followed Tarah's finger to look over their heads. Blinking sporadically like a laptop on stand-by, a blue panel was present about 100 feet above their heads, almost blending in with the rest of the blue stone, save for the periodic flashes. There were no hand-holds or elevated walkways leading up to the panel, even though it bore the same hand-print as the other apparatus. It was like the panel was meant for some sort of flying creature to access, or a rocket-powered robot.

         "You're kiddin'," Mari muttered, almost under her breath. With a grunt, Mari flung the Force Ball at the panel with all her might, but gravity soon caught up with it and dragged it back down. "Nuts, no good!" she swore, catching the sphere and propping it under her arm. "Can't believe the good ol' Force Ball can't cut it this time."

         "How are we gonna get to it?" Andy pondered. "I don't have the power to jump that high."

         "Another power can do it..." Tarah mumbled, folding her arms and grabbing her chin.

         "Huh?" Andy turned to Tarah. "You know something?"

         "Oh no, I'm just as dumb as you!" Tarah waved off his concerns with a laugh. "Not as dumb as Mari, though!"

         "Again...!" Mari growled under her breath.

         Andy frowned, grabbing Tarah by the arm. "Mari, excuse us," he said as he dragged his friend away from the green-haired girl.

         "Huh?" Mari looked with curiosity at the two of them, but then shrugged. "Well, take your time or whatever."

         Once they were about two yards away, Andy leaned in close to his friend. "Tarah, why aren't you using your Yggdraseer powers right now?" he asked. "You've already figured a way it can help us, haven't you? Why are you holding back?"

         "I'm not supposed to reveal my powers to ordinary people, Andrew," she explained in hushed tone. "It's a secret to everybody. I only told you because I trust you the most. Mari's too dumb to understand stuff like this, you know."

         "'Dumb?'" Andy gave her a hard look. He knew she was still a little miffed about the earlier argument, but he had never seen this kind of behavior in his friend before. "Hey, Tarah, are you becoming a snob on me? That's not like you. You don't like it when other people judge YOU, right?"

         "You think so?" Tarah, to her credit, looked chagrined at Andy's insinuation. "I guess I'm being kinda mean..." Her head lowered a fraction, adopting a slight sheen of shame.

         Andy shook his head, taking a small breath. "You can trust her, Tarah," he told her, smiling gently. "She's my trainer, my friend, and your friend, too. She's not like those mean girls you deal with at school. Show her the Tarah I know, the Tarah that can do anything."

         Tarah blinked at Andy, then looked over at Mari. The forest-maned nymph was facing away with her arms folded, though she periodically snuck looks at the two of them. Tarah looked at her with a frown, the anger she formerly nursed vanishing from her face. Then, she stepped away from Andy and proceeded to the center of the chamber, catching Mari's eye before looking up at the blue panel.

         As Mari looked on with a raised eyebrow, Tarah pulled out a small object no bigger than a twig from her shorts pocket. It was a crystal rose, and with a flash of green "mana" energy, the flower extended and thickened into the Crystal Rose Staff. Mari's jaw dropped open as Tarah twirled the staff around herself with a rigid expression, as if she were a majorette in the middle of a particularly complicated routine. She thrust the Crystal Rose towards the floor, almost as if planting it into the ground, and screwed up her face with intense concentration.

         With a explosion of verdant light, a thick mass of vines grew under Tarah and the Crystal Rose, lifting them off the ground and carrying them up to the ceiling. With her stringy bangs flapping about her forehead, Tarah was an image of god-like power, and even her braids seemed to add to her ethereal aura. As she reached the panel, she leapt up from her makeshift elevator, slapping it with an open-palm thrust. As the panel made a chime, the vines disintegrated in a flurry of green sparks, and Tarah span back toward the ground, landing like a gold medal gymnast who had just scored another easy 9.7.

         "Whoa!!!" Mari explained, running over to the smaller grl and grabbing her shoulders. "How did you do that?! You're awesome, girl!"

         "Oh..." Tarah blushed at Mari's sudden enthusiasm. "T-Thank you very much..." she managed to get out, propping up the Crystal Rose.

         "If that's the result of science, maybe I should've paid more attention in class!" Mari grinned. "You made that look good.

         "Oh well, it's a little different than that!" Tarah laughed, good cheer finding its way back to her face. "Hey, Mari, I'm sorry I called you dumb."

         "Ah heck, don't worry 'bout it." Mari waved off her apology. "You got your thing, and I got mine."

         Tarah beamed, in that innocent manner of hers that Andy knew so well.

         Andy smiled as well, and walked away a few steps. "Alright, we're getting and closer!" Andy declared, pointing off to the newly revealed passage. "Let's all keep it up!"

         "Right!!" The two girls smiled, and joined their mutual friend as they rushed down the next hallway, and the next round of adventure.

         Moving through the passageway, the Starlight Teens encountered another wave of bronze automata, who were running to meet them halfway down the hall. This time, Tarah took point, wielding her Crystal Rose like a martial arts "bo" staff. With her doubts retired, the young Yggdraseer was like a whole new fighter, spinning her staff and her body like some sort of break-dancer. With a flourish of her hand, she flung a flurry of small, glowing green energy orbs, which exploded against the automatons in a shower of life energy.

         "Yow!!" Mari gawked at the girl, shaking her head. "Better step it up!" She tossed the Force Ball into the air, then kicked it into a mass of metallic minions with all the technical prowess of an ace striker.

         Andy winced, as a knight's serrated cleaver grazed the shoulder of his jacket. Yet he felt no pain, and the jacket pulsated with green electricity, repelling the minor blow like an invisible shield. "Wow, this 'Shockbreaker' stuff really works," he said, a small smile flowing to his face. With a grim shout, he finished off his opponent with a rising slash, splitting the knight in two like a chopped log.

         "Don't rely on it too much!" Mari warned. laying out another knight with a flying, roundhouse kick. "That gear can only take too much abuse before shorting out! At least, that's what Tarah told me."

         "Right!" Andy nodded, charging forward to catch up with Mari and Tarah as they made their way through the remaining knights.

         Together, the three trampled over the rest of their mechanized opponents, a triple threat of falchion, Force Ball, and Crystal Rose Staff. The girls were bringing on the heat, and even Andy was managing better, able to stand with his friends as they took care of the knights. Before long, the bronze automata were nothing but scrap, leaving Andy, Mari, and Tarah a clear path to the exit. A dim light was emitting from the doorway, like an open front door welcoming a guest, and they passed through to the next area with cautious optimism, trusting they could handle whatever this dungeon could dish out.

         The latest chamber was unlike anything they had seen yet in the labyrinth. Instead of stone walls and statues, they were treated to a huge, cavernous space, inside which was an abandoned, underground town. A variety of two and three story buildings lined either side of a cobblestone street, containing craft shops, grocery stores, and other relics of a bygone age. The streetlamps were still working, casting shadows across the three teens' identical looks of trepidation, curiosity, and awe.

         "What is this place...?" Andy wondered, clenching the grip of his falchion.

         "Never heard about it," Mari said, and starting bouncing the Force Ball upon the street in a compulsive urge. "But it's mega weird."

         "It's the ruins of Old Starlight City, from back during the age of Saint Starlight," Tarah explained, looking down the road at a collapsing courthouse. "I read about it in a book."

         "You know somethin'?" Mari looked over to Tarah, the bouncing ball only serving to increase the tension in this ghost town.

         "Yeah." Tarah nodded. "The old Starlight people were really good at science and stuff, so I looked through fifteen volumes of the encyclopedia set. They're good at magic too, and combined it with science to make an advanced society. But it turned into an empire, and finally fell after some politicians got too greedy and started a war."

         "Huh, 'guess that explains all those knight guys we've been dealin' with." Mari gathered up the Force Ball again, saving Andy from the slightly annoying rhythm. "But why does everything here work so well after all these years?"

         "Maybe someone's preserving this town," Andy pondered. "Like, someone from above ground found this place before us."

         "Oh no, the old Starlight people just built things better than they do now!" Tarah smiled, stopping at an old novelty shop featuring various odds and ends. "It's real cool. I bet they could've made some neat nick-knacks for your room, Andrew!"

         "Yeah, this stuff's kitschy enough for me to be interested in." Andy's voice rose with interest as he peeked in the store window at a lucky cat statuette. "Hey, I think this one lights up!"

         "Yeesh!" Mari rolled her eyes, though she couldn't fight the smile coming to her face. "You guys should go window-shopping here sometime."

         "Uwee hee hee hee hee...!"

         Andy's arm-hair stood rigid on his skin, as a voice from the past echoed throughout the ghost down. He walked away from the novelty shop, and back to the middle of the street, looking towards the crumbling courthouse. As Mari and Tarah looked at him with concern, he beheld the columns and slanted roof of the structure, the wooden doors hanging open like ripped flesh. He stood for a moment, just looking, the mysterious laugh grasping onto his heart once more.

         "I know that laugh," he muttered, his eyes narrowing. "Guys, stay with me, okay."

         The subtle pleading in his voice brought frowns to Mari and Tarah, and the two girls grabbed his forearms to offer some slight comfort. Andy conjured up a false smile for the both of them, then turned back towards the courthouse, his falchion still out despite Tarah's hand on his arm. Forcing down the old fear in his chest, he concentrated on the path before him, and knew there was no turning back. Sword in hand and friends in tow, he started walking, keeping a steady pace as they strode towards a destiny long deterred.

         "Uwee hee hee hee hee...!" The voice continued to cackle, as Andy tried his hardest to ignore it. "It's time to play again!" He walked through the wooden doors with Mari and Tarah, entering a small lobby area that was not too different than that which existed above ground. Passing by two desks and some sculptures bearing the likenesses of Old Starlight City political figures, they found a large door just a little ways forward. Andy hesitated for only a moment, then reached out and pushed it open.

         And finally, Andy, Mari, and Tarah found what they had come for.

         It was a courtroom, similar in style to modern Starlight City courtrooms, with the same two aisles and podiums. But in place of the customary Saint Starlight statue, was a black-cloaked man, or a woman, or even some illusionary being. The dark stranger was more visible than three years ago; it wore a wide-brinned hat, a flowing cape, and an easy-breathing jumpsuit perfect for a combat ranger. Squinting, the boy could just make out the long, hook-like nose sticking out from under the hat, as well as the ear-to-ear smile plastered upon a palid, ashen face.

         "The little child is older now," the dark stranger said, voice lowered to a masculine, yet chirping tone. "And he wants to play this time!"

         Andy grit his teeth, drawing strength from Mari and Tarah's warm fingers. The young lad stepped forward. "I'm tired of seeing you as a phantom in my dreams," he ventured, keeping his falchion at the ready. "Who are you? What's your name? Even the darkest person is still a person, so you must have some sort of identity."

         "You may call me Paradise!" The man grinned a creaky grin, folding his arms with gloved fingers on his biceps. "This town has been my playpen for many centuries. After the war, I was cursed to live in this labyrinth, to upkeep the grounds as the last warrior of my generation. But I still have my fun, my toys, and now, I have a new friend!"

         "So..." The cursed ranger's hands fell to his sides, and his smile thinned out into a self-satisfied smirk. "Why have you come to play with me?"

         Andy lowered his head, a forelock concealing his eyes much like Paradise's hat. "It's hard to explain," he began, with a low voice that contrasted with the dark man's squeaky croak. "When I heard your voice, offering some sort of prize, I actually believed you. I was too scared to continue, but I knew you were telling the truth. There's something special about you, about this place, a power I couldn't grasp."

         "But now I'm ready." Andy raised his head, and for the first time, his eyes were firm as he faced his childhood terror. "I have the training from my Master Mari, and my best friend Tarah at my side. And I made a vow, a vow that I would take on this cave once again. I'm here now, and I'm not moving."

         Andy pulled up his restored falchion, and stepped away from Mari and Tarah. "My friends are both warriors, and have trained themselves to face the challenges they face daily. And I know in my heart, that you have a power that will help me stand with them. I don't know what it is, but nevertheless..." His eyes flashed with fury, and he brandished his sword with a flourish. "I challenge you, Paradise, so draw your sword and fight me!!!"

         "Andrew..." Tarah put her hands to her heart, bursting with pride.

         "That's Andy for ya!" Mari folded her arms with satisfaction for her first student.

         "Uwee hee hee!!!" Paradise bubbled up with hyperactive giggles, tilting his head upwards so that Andy could almost see his eyes. "You are so much fun! I'm going to give you a special treat right now!!"

         He made a gesture with his gloved hand, and Andy looked at his blade as it started radiating green light. The falchion was transforming in his hand, becoming straighter and longer. The hilt became bound with braided, crisscrossing cord, and the hand-guard flattened out into a square shape. Just a few moments later, and the light faded, leaving Andy to behold his new weapon with awe reserved for the gods.

         In Andy's grip was a large, steel katana, featuring a thick, oversized blade and a long handle to balance out its weight. The edge was adorned with green trim, and almost seemed to glow in the murky light of the courtroom, a lone symbol of virtue in a den of corrupted justice. Andy gawked at his weapon, then slowly brought it up to bear, in a stance meant to emulate the Eastern warriors as much as possible. He refocused on Paradise, who had adopted a more pensive disposition as he reached into his cloak.

         "Master using it and you can have this!" the cursed ranger said, and from within his clothes, he drew a long, straight sword with a hand-guard resembling an "ankh." "The Seiryu Sword is a fun toy, so you can play with it for a little while!"

         "Seiryu Sword..." Andy mumbled, his eyes coasting over the green trim on the blade. "''The Sword of the Green Dragon,' right?"

         "Now..." Paradise configured his body into a fencer's stance, and twirled his blade. "Time for some fun!"

         "Andrew!" Tarah squeezed his shoulder, her eyes shining with concern.

         Andy smiled at her, and gently removed her fingers from his person. "I'll go it alone from here," he told her, and turned to face his friends. "Tarah, Mari, thank you so much for getting me here. I owe you guys a lot."

         Mari's eyes softened for a moment, but soon she stepped forward, all business. "Champ, stay out of his inner circle until you have a good opportunity," she instructed him, her voice brisk and hard. "And it's a katana, so make sure to leave space between your two hands when you hold it. Keep your guard up!"

         "Got it." Andy quickly readjusted his grip, and then rushed forward. "Let's do it!"

         "Be careful, Andrew!" Tarah cried up, cupping her hands over her mouth as her friend began the final trial.

         Paradise laughed gaily, and spun backwards with a swing of his cloak. Drawing a concealed knife from his person, he flung the blade straight and true at the boy's forehead. Andy's concentration was absolute, and he deflected the blade with a twist of his own, continuing his charge and pulling back his sword for a solid strike. His opponent made a death-grin, and brought his sword up to parry Andy's attack, the two blades sending out a shower of sparks over the courtroom floor.

         The cursed ranger giggled again, and twirled his blade in a series of strikes aiming at all nine sword targets on Andy's body. The green-haired youth backed off, and set about blocking the blows, clumsily applying what little he knew about swordsmanship to the best of his abilities. The new "Seiryu Sword" was very different from the falchion, but it seemed oddly suited to him, and he was just barely able to keep up with the blurring blade of his adversary. That was when Paradise turned up the heat, and adopted a new pattern of attack, adopting for wider, stronger swings that left Andy at a loss for adaptation.

         Andy cried out, as he dove to the side to avoid a half-moon slice that would've taken off two inches from his waist. Coming up in a crouch, he raised the Seiryu Sword just in time to ward off an overhead slash, straining with the surprising strength of Paradise's sword. With a shout, he pushed back up to his feet, and set upon his foe in a whirlwind of slashes, looking for any openings in the swordsman's perfect defense. Paradise moved his blade in time with the strikes, like a conductor moving his baton to a classical arrangement.

         With the two swordfighters locked in mortal combat, Mari and Tarah looked on, honoring Andy's request to stay out of it even as their muscles tensed with worry. "This is getting pretty wild," Mari said, folding her arms in an effort to keep calm. "He's not doin' bad, but I wish I have taught him more weapon skills."

         "Maybe I could've let him use my staff sometime?" Tarah wondered, looking at the Crystal Rose still in her grasp. "I don't like fighting, but I could've joined your training, when Unusual Affinities wasn't playing on the Animal Channel."

         "Think we should step in?" Mari asked, letting some of her concern show on her face. "It looks like he's having a hard time."

         "He can do it." Tarah shook her head, a small smile coming to his face. "I believe in Andrew."

         As if energized by Tarah's vote of confidence, Andy grit his teeth, and jumped on the offensive. With renewed enthusiasm, he slammed the Seiryu Sword against Paradise's formidable guard, the sound of clashing metal filling the courtroom's spacious interior. Paradise sneered, and tried for a stab aimed at Andy's shoulder, but the boy knocked the blade away and continued his assault. Not relenting for an instant, Andy put more pressure on his foe, and soon had Paradise backed against the judge's bench, with locked blades and clashing wills.

         "Uwee hee hee!!!" Paradise laughed, straining to keep Andy's Seiryu Sword from pushing his own blade into his body. "You look so serious! You're a serious sportsman!"

         "I learned to put my all into everything," he told him, as Paradise pushed him back a few feet. "Mari and Tarah taught me that much. And now," Andy raised his sword above his head. "I'll teach YOU!!!"

         Paradise swung in response to the threat, the two blade careening toward each other in an inevitable clash. Only, the edge of the Seiryu Sword was now glowing green, a mystical sheen like a dragon's fang. The blade arced down in a crescent slash of light, the echo of hot steel causing Mari and Tarah to take a reflexive step backwards. And when Andy had completed his follow-though, there was only one armed swordsman, with Paradise's sword shattered across the floor and leaving him with only the anhk-shaped hilt.

         "Yes!!!" Mari and Tarah cheered, hugging each other as they jumped in the air.

         Paradise looked down at his broken blade, the first hint of a scowl coasting on his lips. But soon, he was all smiles again, and he looked at Andy as if he were an old friend. "Very good!!" he cried. "You're much more fun now!"

         "Not really." Andy sighed as he lowered his Seiryu Sword, the blade losing its glow and regaining its original cold edge. "I know you were holding back. Your attacks were telegraphed, and you never pushed me harder than I could handle. Mari taught me enough about combat to figure that out."

         "I just wanted you to have a good time," Paradise explained, placing the broken sword back in its scabbard concealed in his cloak. "It's no fun if one fighter's too strong."

         Andy blinked. "Did...did you arrange all this to test me?" he asked. "To see if I was worthy of the power?"

         "I can't let a weak heart have such a fun toy!" Paradise smiled at him. "Or a maniac like me! Uwee hee hee!!!"

         Andy stood regarding the dark stranger for a moment, not moving. Then, a slow smile came to his face, oddly reveling in his opponent's strange mirth.

         Paradise raised his hands to the rooftop, as if encompassing the entire courthouse. "Oh, you're such a good boy!" he cried, and his body started to fade into the musty air. "And you'll get even stronger later on. Let's meet up then, and have another round. I can't wait to see how much fun you'll be then. Ta ta!"

         With that, the dark stranger from Andy's past faded once more into the ether, leaving behind a small spark of light like a firefly. With the absence of the warrior, the silvery glow was the focus of the three teens, and it was floating towards the green-haired lad like it was drawn to him. Andy gaped for a moment, then raised his hand with the Seiryu Sword still in his grasp, waiting for the light to reach him. The spark in-bedded itself in Andy's skin, giving out a tingly, but not entirely unpleasant experience, like a gentle muscle massage.

         Mari and Tarah crept over to Andy, the tension in the courtroom finally dissipating to leave an air of mystery in its wake. The Starlight teens stared at Andy's hand, still encased in the fingerless gloves of the Shockbreaker Gear. The backside of the glove had been burnt away, leaving a hole in the shape of the emblem that had just been engraved upon his skin.

         A gray heart, shining true as if made of platinum.

*****


         Evening had fallen upon the solitary island, the palm trees casting shadows like shady strangers in an urban subway. The gloom of twilight seemed almost smoky, and one could hardly see through the haze that had settled among the logs and stones dotting this mysterious location. The cave seemed lonely as it ever was, but an artificial light was emerging from the depths, bouncing back and forth with its owner's gait. Ten seconds later, Andy, Mari, and Tarah emerged from the darkness, worn down from their arduous trials, yet practically buoyant with new cheer.

         "Gotta figure out what this is," Andy was saying, using his portable light to examine the heart-shaped emblem on the back of his hand. "And Aunt Mary's not gonna like me having a tattoo."

         "I could study it!" Tarah bubbled up, smiling at his side. "I'll just combine my Yggdraseer powers with my new chemistry kit. We're going to find out about your new powers!"

         "Everything turns into a science lesson with this gal," Mari laughed from Andy's other side, with her Force Ball tucked under her arm. "Can't say I'm not getting used to it."

         "You can come too, Mari!" Tarah's eyes danced with enthusiasm as she looked beyond Andy at the other girl. "I'll get you to be smarter in science. And it'll help you in chemistry class, too."

         "Heh, you actually have hope in me." Mari smirked at the brainy girl. "Glad I'm finally makin' the grade with you."

         "Yeah, you're my friend." Tarah beamed a sunny smile at her. "And I know you're a lot smarter than you look."

         The green-haired girl chuckled. "I'll teach you about basketball when I come over," she told him. "With your fighting skills, there's no way you can't beat those stupid girls in gym class."

         "Sure!" Tarah nodded.

         Andy laughed as well, glad his two friends were finally getting along. It had been a long trip, but they finally had something to show for it. The emblem on his hand was emanating an alien power, but he already felt like he could call it his own. With his new Seiryu Sword, it seemed like he had finally leveled up, and now it was time to for a new journey.

         "Mom," Andy spoke into the air, despite the presence of the two girls. "I did it. What's next for me?"

         "A proper instructor, for one thing," a cool-sounding voice echoed from his left.

         Andy jolted with surprise, and the three teens whirled around to the shoreline, where Andy had left the small dinghy. A tall, black man they all knew quite well was perched upon the bow, with a long braid flapping in the cool wind. He was wearing his usual teacher's shirt, but now had a long, blue trench-coat draped over his form, with white "mountain stripes" embroidered on the sleeves and hem. By his side was a simple, straight cane, though Andy knew it contained a hidden sword that could cleave any opponent in two.

         "...Mr. Clark?" Andy said, walking away from the girls to regard his language arts teacher.

         "Professor, you're here!" Tarah smiled, digging her Crystal Rose staff into the sand.

         "Hey, what IS he doing here, anyway?" Mari scrunched her face with suspicion. "And WHAT is he wearing?"

         "Oh, I told him I was going over to the lake island with Andrew last Friday," Tarah answered with a laugh. "I guess he must have known something about it. He's real cool, and a samurai too. I know, because he helps me out a lot with Yggdraseer stuff."

         As Andy reached his boat, Mr. Clark looked down at his student with a stiff expression resembling solemn pride. "You have completed your first test as a warrior," he told him, leaning on the Manticore Sword with two hands. "You are determined to keep up with your friends, and adventure into a mysterious world. But this is only a beginner's trial, and you have much to learn still. Can you figure out how to use that sword, and the power of the Platinum Heart?"

         "Platinum Heart?" Andy took another look at his hand, the emblem seeming to shine in the eerie remnants of daylight.

         The teacher stepped off the dinghy, his steps light with his mastery of body and soul. "The Platinum Heart is a hidden hand, granted to those who journey into the unknown of their own free-will," Mr. Clark said, leaving behind soft footprints in the sand. "You have conquered your fear, and have been awarded with a greater power that will take you to a new plateau. But you need guidance now, to learn how to harness it, as well as the sword in your hand. You no longer have to be alone."

         Andy looked at the Seiryu Sword again, then back at his mentor, who had extended a hand to him. "I will teach you all that I know," Mr. Clark told him, offering him a warm smile that offset his stern demeanor. "Will you take your next step?"

         Andy regarded the hand with some trepidation, then looked to his friends for guidance. Mari and Tarah were smiling with pride for their friend, who had grown stronger and stronger before their very eyes. Mari had put her fist on her hip, her long mane of green hair flowing in the wind behind her. And Tarah just radiated affection, no words necessary to convey her absolute faith in him.

         Andy turned back to Mr. Clark. "Teach me everything you can," he said, his eyebrows furrowing with determination. "I will keep walking forward. For my mother, and for the friends that believe in me."

         He took the man's hand, and shook it.

                             END
© Copyright 2018 RisanF (risanf at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2172461-DC-FT--A-Test-of-Island-Courage