*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2172531-The-Fury
Rated: ASR · Documentary · Action/Adventure · #2172531
A mercenary wielding a powerful sword, Fury, is on a quest of vengeance from his past.
         The light from the torch engulfed the corridor in a dull, orange paste. The stones seemed to bounce off the walls from the movement of the flames, as if the hallway was alive. The silence was disturbingly peaceful, something Darius was not accustomed to. The steps made from his boots echoed through the dungeon like the wails of a mother being ripped from her child. The cries of terror seemed to end, which indicated that Darius could almost be at his. He knew what he was hoping to accomplish would not be an simple task, but now he was in fear. A sensation he loves, for it is his driving force. It is the queer feeling in his gut. It is the unsteadiness in his breath. It is the mother that asks him for help. It is the beast he is about to encounter. But, it is also the sword in his hand. The steel blade shimmered red in the light of the torch, bringing him memories of the night of terror. The night that changed him. The night that was not only his burden, but the core of his vengeance. The night all he loved was taken from him.
         The smell of rot and blood crept closer to Darius every step he took in the never ending blackness. The air around him seemed to warn him of danger. Bumps starting to encase his body and all his hairs were standing up straight. His clothing provided little protection from the frost that encased the stones. How far beneath the castle was he? Darius could hear the impending doom already. The center of the low growls was his destination. Was he ready? Could the tales be true? Was the beast as large as all the singers in the taverns claimed? He was about to experience for himself what no lords or knights had the stomach to think of.
         He approached the end of the tunnel, a single iron door was ripped from its hinges, leading to a cave. He sat the torch in the metal holder and made sure all his bracers and shin guards were latched properly. He then proceeded into the cold, wet abyss.
         He made his way to the floor of the den. he noticed many objects were hanging from the ceiling from what seemed a string. He put his hand on the sheath of his inherited edge. Then, appearing from the darkness, a large creature stalked the intruder from above. Darius backed away from the immediate lunge of the animal. He stood in his fighting stance and unsheathed his sword, Fury. The blade was handed down to him by his mother, who acquired it from her father. The blade was used with two hands, and was possessed by a power. The power to be ignited with flame only by the blood-owner.
         The creature finally appeared to Darius. It resembled the appearance of a spider, however it was the size of two men tall. Darius stood his ground, not showing any sign of weakness. The creature had fangs the size of a small child, and from what the stories told, they could cause instant paralysis on any that are in its strike.
         "Stay under the torso and go for the legs," Darius thought.
         Darius waited for first movement to strike. Both combatants paced in circles before the insect pounced. Darius rolled towards the underbelly of the beast and made his first strike. he cut along the stomach of the being but did not succeed well for the its skin is strong.
         The creature swiped at Darius but missed. He took this advantage to attack the legs. The made a swift slice through the air, yet the legs took seemed to repel the blade. His plan was not going to work he had to think of something else. As he was distracted from the surprise of the legs the creature swiped again and knocked Darius across the room. He dropped Fury on his way down. The creature lunged to him and Darius was overtaken. The creature cared not to rip him apart, but to sting him with its poison induced fangs. He held back the beast with all his strength while he thought of what to do. He grabbed the dagger that he keeps in his belt and stabbed the creature in the head. IT PIERCED! The being cried in pain and staggered back from the sudden pain. It was angrier now than ever before.
         Darius stood and sprinted to Fury grabbed it. He made his way toward the being that was still recovering from the attack, trying its best to remove the dagger. He climbed atop a rock protrusion and climbed on the back of the spider. It no longer had patience and began to try and knock Darius from it. Darius held onto the hairs that covered the insect and reached the neck. He grabbed Fury with both hands and, without saying a word, the blade ignited in an emblazoning flame. He raised the sword and released the power of the blade upon the beast.
         The sword went through the top and out the bottom of the head. A clean cut. The body collapsed and Darius was flung to the ground. He stood over the slain beast, gazing upon his accomplishment. He released his grip on Fury and the flame was extinguished. He cut the head of the beast clean off, and put it in his sack that he brought.

         Darius traveled up to the doorway, grabbed his torch, and marched down the corridor, leaving the cave of horror behind him. As he emerged from the depths of the castle, his eyes took a moment to adjust before he could see the brighter colors of day. He walked up the stairs, passing the royal guards who seemed to be frightened of him, and he entered the great hall. The lord Rickard of Agenheim, fat in both weight and riches, was sitting upon his massive thrown with his beautiful lady next to him.
         "Compensating for something, most likely," Darius thought when he had first met the lord days before. He was hired to explore the dungeon for a beast that was responsible for the disappearances of many soldiers and peasants that had traveled into the dungeon.
         As Darius approached the throne two royal guards blocked him from getting closer. Lord Rickard lazily waved his hand signaling for the guards to stand down.
         "I assume you fled before it was too late?" said Rickard, cackling at his own jest. All others in the room laughed along as to not displease their lord.
         Darius, snickering, proclaimed back, "Why so little faith your highness? I imagine your lady had more faith in me."
         Rickard was appalled. "How dare you," he started, "YOU DARE SPEAK TO ME THAT W--"
         Before he could finish his banter, Darius pulled the head of the arachnid out of the sack and tossed it beneath the lord. Everyone in the hall gasped. Highborns and servants alike all crowded around the trophy like it was gold. Rickard asked,"Is this..."
         "The head of the beast. Your people need no longer worry, my lord," Darius said, "And if I recall, I was to be rewarded for my services?"
         The lord, noticeably unhappy by his request, surrendered to Darius and payed him the full amount. Darius nodded in approval, looked at the lady Sara and smiled. She blushed and Rickard, noticing this, became outraged. "I OUGHT HAVE YOUR HEAD FOR THIS YOU MERCENARY. NEVER ENTER MY CASTLE AGA--"
         "No worries your royal fatness, I never liked looking at anything in your castle anyway. Well, except for your mistress," and on that, Darius fled the hall and out the great doors of the castle, grinning wide and awaiting for a sign of where to go next.
© Copyright 2018 cshaw20 (cshaw20 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2172531-The-Fury