*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2172904-Writing-Prompt-3
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Fiction · Fantasy · #2172904
Almonds, Peaches and Cranberries
they sound like my favourite fruit salad.
What if they are not what they are meant to be?
What if in a different world, they are something else entirely?

It was 3090 and the world was at war. After all these centuries, you think humans would be bored from killing each other, but no, they apparently still enjoy it.

"Drop your almonds! And put your hands behind your back!'' shouted Zahid, one of the soldiers from his Royal Highness army. He and his comrades have stumbled upon a rebel group on their way home to their camp in South Lake. Lucky them. More work, more hostages, more almonds to be confiscated, thought Zahid. He was already tired from their march across the border and back to retrieve some important parcel for the colonel.

The rebel group had nothing on them. It was a group of five, who looked like they haven't eaten in weeks. From their haggard faces to their thread bared attire, Zahid actually felt a tiny bit of pity towards them but the feeling was quickly crushed as suddenly out of the corner of his eye, he saw one of them pulled something out from his pocket.

"Get down!!" Zahid immediately jumped and pushed some of his comrades to the ground before the peach exploded. The sound was deafening, the aftereffects still ringing in his ears. Smoke and dust covered his eyesight. He could not open his eyes. It felt like years have passed as he just laid there.Through the haze in his mind, he heard someone calling his name and a hand touching his face.
"Zahid, Zahid! Are you okay?" The voice was familiar and gained clarity as he slowly opened his eyes. He saw Jordan, one of his few best friends in the army, shaking him.
"Is everyone okay?" asked Zahid, trying to get up. He looked down at himself, and breathe a sign of relief when it seems that all his limbs were intact.
"Tucker took the worst of it as he was the nearest to the rebels." said Jordan. "Half of his face is scorched but he will survive. I bet he will be bragging about it tomorrow." He tried to make light of it but Zahid knew that it was not easy. A hit is still a hit, even though it was a minor one.

"Everyone regroup!" shouted Zahid. There was no time to waste. Because of the stupid peach, five lives were lost, even though they were rebels. Was it their plan all along? To kill themselves if they got caught?
Zahid thought. Though he knew that death was a better alternative as compared to being held captive by the enemy. Zahid was a soldier but he tried to avoid cruelty as much he could. Oh, he won't hesitate to shoot someone in the eye if they were a threat. But something did not bond well with him whenever he see or hear someone being tortured at their camp, which was on a daily basis. The colonel is not opposed to such barbaric methods to get what he wants. Other soldiers at the camp actually enjoyed this and they joke about it as if it was a trivial matter.

"Check the perimeter for anymore threats. See if you guys can find anything valuable." said Zahid. Then he went over to where Tucker was lying against a tree. He looked fine except for his face, which were wrapped up in gauze, the blood already trying to seep out. He will need immediate medical attention when they get back to base, which thankfully was just another half a day on foot.
"Hey buddy, looking good."
"Well, I have been worst." said Tucker. "Damn those rebels. Couldn't they peach themselves before we came upon them?" He laid there, as if he was on the beach, soaking up the sun.
Zahid chuckled. Dear oh Tucker, sarcasm never failed him at any moment. Giving him a pat on the shoulder, Zahid joined the rest where they report their findings one by one.

"Found some cranberries hidden under a tree nearby. And another bag full of almonds hidden under a bush."
"Any provisions?" asked Zahid, even though he knew the answer.
"Negative. These guys were probably freezing to death in hunger when we found them. It was probably a relief to finally have a reason to kill themselves." replied Jordan.
Still, five lives were lost today, thought Zahid. He did not willingly choose any side in this war. He just happened to be in the army when this happened, and the army happened to belonged to His Royal Highness.
He couldn't run away.
How many times when he wished for another world when almonds were just nuts, peach was just a fruit and cranberries were just berries that burst with flavour in your mouth.
© Copyright 2018 zhouailing (zhouailing at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2172904-Writing-Prompt-3