*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2174635-Five-Biggest-Crimes-Against-Humanity
by River
Rated: 18+ · Non-fiction · Death · #2174635
Genocide and why it happens
The Five Biggest Crimes Against Humanity

Genocide. This word conjures up horrific images in my mind. Fear, chaos, desperation, death chambers, and the smell of death. Bodies piled one on top of the other in a pit, some dead and some desperately trying to crawl out of the stinking hole.

The Holocaust is the first to pop into my mind. This was the one I learned about in school, actually the first time I heard the word, genocide. I was horrified and sick to my stomach. How could this happen?

Yes, this was the first genocide I heard about, but there were others equally as appalling:

EUROPEAN COLONIZATION OF THE AMERICAS: UP TO 100 MILLION DEAD
HOLODOMOR: 7.5 MILLION DEAD
NIGERIAN CIVIL WAR: 3 MILLION DEAD
CAMBODIAN GENOCIDE: 2.5 MILLION DEAD

Including HOLOCAUST: 17 MILLION DEAD these are the five biggest crimes against humanity.

Why? What leads to genocide? This burning question caused me to do some research.
There are common denominators.
Dictators
White Supremacy
Racist stereotyping including anti-Semitism.
Politics
Hatred
Religious prejudices
Cults
Genocide is a denial of the right of existence of entire human groups,

What frightens me most is that given the political situation in the world today: Nation turning against nation, the attitude of today's world leaders, nations divided in their beliefs, neighbour turning against neighbour, protests in the streets, and war. Genocide can, is, and will happen again.

What can we do to stop genocide from ever happening again? I believe we must change our attitudes, work together to end hatred and choose our leaders carefully.

There isn't much I can do on a personal level, but I don't like, comment, or share the hate-filled posts on FaceBook and I try my bests not to spread hatred of any ethnic group by mouth. It's not much, but its a start.

What can you do?


© Copyright 2018 River (riverbedwriter at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2174635-Five-Biggest-Crimes-Against-Humanity