*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2174641-The-Second-Amendment
Rated: 13+ · Article · Political · #2174641
A Right To Protect Ourselves
Many people say that the way to stop the horrific mass shootings is to have stricter gun control laws. I'm shooting that idea down, and here's why.

Introduction

“A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not
be infringed.”

That is the Second Amendment to the Constitution of the United States of America. It states that we have the right to bear arms. In
other words, it allows us to own weapons such as guns to protect ourselves and our families. Sounds like we might need something like that, right?

Well, believe it or not, there are some people that believe that the people of the United States should not be allowed to own guns. They believe that if guns are allowed, the number of terrorist attacks will rise due to the availability of the guns.

But I believe that if we did not have this right, we would be in a much worse place than where we are now. The people would not be able
to defend themselves from the evils that plague the world today.

There are three main reasons why guns should not be banned. First of all, it still wouldn’t put a stop to the horrific attacks that we
hear on the news. People would still find a way to illegally get guns, and then we'd all be screwed. Second of all, if we didn’t have guns, who would defend us from terrorists and extremists that want to tear America down? The police and the military, while infinitely essential to our survival, wouldn’t be able to stop the attacks in time. We need people to act fast and to save the day, and without guns, they can’t do that. Finally, gun control laws will take away power from the people and give it to the government, creating a tyranny in the country.


They’d Still Find A Way

If the government established gun control laws, it still wouldn’t stop dangerous people from getting guns. Out of the 143 guns used in the mass shootings that took place from 1982 to 2012, a quarter of the guns were obtained illegally, according to Mother Jones’ “A Guide to Mass Shootings”. If gun control laws were in place, a quarter of those attacks still would have taken place, and probably more, too, if the attackers were willing enough to get their guns illegally.

Gun control laws have been proven ineffective in countries such as Mexico. Even though Mexico has some of the strictest gun control laws in the world, in 2012, Mexico had around two thousand more gun murders than the U.S., 11,309 compared to 9,146. Also, Mexico has only one legal gun store, and you have to go through an extensive background check to purchase a gun. That gun store sold 6, 490 guns from 2006 to 2010, but as of 2012, Mexico has about 15 million guns. This proves that if we enforced gun control laws, people would become even more desperate to guns and the illegally buying of guns would skyrocket, leading to more attacks and murders.


How Would We Fight Back?

The next reason why gun control laws should not be enforced is that the people would have no way to defend themselves if they couldn’t
have guns. How are they going to save themselves from the attacks that we hear about on the news almost every day?

In the Sutherland Spring church shooting in Texas, 20 people were killed by the perpetrator, Devin Patrick Kelley. However, he was chased from the scene by Stephen Willeford, a former NRA firearms instructor. Willeford had an automatic rifle with him, thanks to Texas's lack of gun control laws. He shot Kelley twice, and as he tried to escape, Kelley crashed his car on the side of the highway, due to his wounds. He was later found with another gunshot wound, a self-inflicted one to his head. Willeford was not allowed to have a gun, he wouldn’t have been able to stop Kelley. Who knows how many more people Kelley would have killed if not for Willeford? This is exactly why the people need to have the right to own guns, because, without them, people are going to be defenseless, and
more people are going to die.

Tyranny: Need I Say More?

Finally, gun control laws give power to the government, and too much of it can be a bad thing. In a survey taken in 2013, 57% of people said that they thought that gun control laws would give too much control to the government. The very reason why America declared its independence from Great Britain was because King George didn’t let the colonists have any freedom. The Second Amendment was made so the people could stand up to a tyrannical government like our Founding Fathers did if need be! If we let gun control laws to be put in place, then we have no way of fighting an unfair government. Our country was created with this right, and we should be able to keep it!

There are people who say that giving the common man rights to guns would give him to much power. I say that's a load of bull. Say that one day the government started to become a dictatorship and we Americans were being treated unfairly. We have natural, God-given rights that no one can take away, rights that allow us to protect ourselves and fix things. We need these rights in order to survive, as people and as a county as well. For if we are denied these rights, how will we move forward as a country?


Conclusion

In conclusion, people need guns. Gun control laws are only going to do more harm than good. Gun control should not be enforced because they haven’t worked in other countries. Also, they would render our people defenseless from attackers and murders. Finally, it would give too much power to the government and result in government tyranny. We need the rights to protect our country from evils within. All in all, I believe that guns are necessary, and that gun control laws are going to ultimately ruin our country.
© Copyright 2018 sjd_write (sjd_write at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2174641-The-Second-Amendment