*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2175212-A-bird-a-morning-and-a-girl
by Triv
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2175212
Flash fiction using the words: bird, string and curtain
Mary wasn’t very active in the mornings. She hated the act of waking up and having to do anything. Given a choice, she would laze around till midday and languish in the bed even if she wasn’t sleeping.

That morning was different. She was up at five when the tentative rays of the sun were sneaking in through the tapestry of large curtain in her bedroom.

Luckily for her, her home was her workplace and she only had to switch rooms. The papers from the play were strewn all around her living room. Muttering under her breath, she gathered them and started rearranging them. Her good mood persisted and soon she was practicing her lines in earnest.

A loud flutter interrupted her reverie. She glanced up at the window. It was made of stained glass so all she could see was a shadow. It must be a bird, she thought.

The creature now started tapping on the window as if requesting entry. Mary was puzzled. Why would a bird do that?

She made her way to the front door, opened it and looked up. Sure, enough a large eagle was sitting on the window sill. It looked down at her and for the first time she realized how small she was.

In terror, she closed the door and rushed back in. The sudden movements entangled her and she was trapped. A pair of scissors the same size as her caught her eye. She managed to get to it and cut the single string tightening its hold around her neck. Suddenly the mass of strings collapsed around her and she stood up, for the first time unencumbered by pulls in any direction.

The puppet was free!
© Copyright 2018 Triv (triv at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2175212-A-bird-a-morning-and-a-girl