*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2175744-Lessons-of-Love-Part-8
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: GC · Novel · Romance/Love · #2175744
As the fundraiser is on the horizon, Norah goes to her mom for help.
          Norah let out a heavy sigh as she headed up the steps of her mom's home. The outside wasn't much to look at but it was the home she had spent growing up in. The rusk colored brick home was still accompanied by the weathered hunter green shutteres, which her mother never wanted to paint over because to her, it added character to the home. There perimeter of the house had different flowers blooming, including: lilies, marigolds, and different shades of roses; the flowers were accompanied by different greenery and shrubbery.
          As she walked up to the brightly yellow colored concrete stairs, she chuckled when she remembered walking outside to see her mother with sun colored paint all over her arms and face. When she asked what she was doing, all her mother responded with was, "Nothing more inviting that bright yellow steps!". The old screen door's hinges creaked when she opened it up and stepped inside the screened in porch, which was carefully decorated with different types of wind chimes, her big herbal plants, and different brightly colored wicker furniture for her guests. The sounds of upbeat jazz music floated through the air as Norah floated into the opened front door.
          It was a quaint house, the interior hadn't changed at all. The soft grey furniture had been set up in a way that felt inviting. Brightly colored tapestries were elegantly canopied from the ceiling, there were dreamcatchers strategically hung throughout the walls, as well as the pictures of Norah and her sister as kids. It was still very home-like and Norah welcomed the comfort it provided that nothing had changed.

          Following the familiar scent of rose incense and marijuana, along with the sounds of soft jazz, Norah strolled back towards the kitchen. She leaned against the door as she watched her mother tend to her new baby herbs with the same tender care she showed her fully grown plants. Her long salt and pepper hair was in a lengthy braid with azaleas woven into it that hung to her mid-back, she was wearing a vibrant patchwork dress that flowed with every step she took. Norah smiled at the matching tree her mother had tattooed on her back, as well as her several spiritual tattoos along her arms.

          "Hey you." She spoke once the song ended. Her mom yelped out and swung around to see who startled her.
          "Norah darling!" She exclaimed as she rushed over and hugged Norah tightly. Norah returned the hug and smiled as she smelled the same rose perfume on her mother.
          "What are you doing here??" Miranda asked as she floated to her cabinet to get two tea cups and small dessert plates.

          "Well I need your help." Norah replied as she sat at the small kitchen table.

          "You're not in trouble are you?" Miranda asked as she cut out two slices of pie and poured the peppermint tea she had brewing. She heard Norah chuckle softly, "no no it's nothing like that. I have to get a formal dress for a fancy black tie event I'm going to with my dorm mate." Small white lie.

          Miranda set the desserts and tea out before sitting across her daughter. She studied Norah's face for a moment and noticed an unusual gleam in her eye. "Just your dorm mate huh? And where is this fancy black tie event?"
          Norah felt a wave of nostalgia as her mom asked her questions about where she was going. "Oh it's the Corrigan's annual fundraiser."
          "The Corrigan's? Wow that is fancy. How did you manage to get those invitation?" Her mother asked.

          "Well.. I've been dating Matthew Corrigan for about a month."
          "My my! How did you two meet?"
          "Well, my dorm mate Autumn brought me to a kinda social get together before the start of the semester and we met there. We just clicked and it just kinda went from there.." Norah responded in a vague way, careful to leave out Matt was the TA.

          "Well then. We have to go find you a dress then! Let me clean this up and we'll be on our way!"


          As they walked into the same boutique where they purchased Norah's prom dresses, one of Norah's high school classmates stopped her, Miranda excused herself to start picking out dresses for Norah.
          "Oh my god, look who it is! I thought you were done with this simple town? What are you doing back?" She asked with a very snobby undertone.
          "Hi to you too Clara. I'm not back. I'm here to see my mother and buy a dress. Excuse me." Norah responded coldly, as she gave Clara a quick nod before she walked away to join her mother.


          "Mom, I'm not finding anything that is working!" Norah exclaimed from the dressing room. The sequins along the hem was already irritating her skin; the deep blue color just seemed to wash her out.
          "There's one more out here. I think you'll really like it." Her mom called back in a confident tone.
          "Mom. I've tried on 8 different dresses. Nothing is working."
          Norah Christine, try this one on."

          Norah groaned and opened the door to her mother holding up a gorgeous and intricate golden gown. Her eyes went wide as she reached out to feel the creamy fabric, "Where did you find this one? I dug everywhere!"
          "When you know people, you get the best of the best." Miranda replied as she handed the dress over to Norah.

          Norah excitedly grabbed the dress and returned into the dressing room. The inside felt like silk as she slipped the dress on. The off-shoulder straps sat delicately on her arms; the lace and silk bodice clung to her waist and hips before flaring out into a mermaid style. Once she zipped up the dress, Norah turned to face herself in the mirror and was completely astounded that it fit so perfectly. A small smile spread across her face as she knew that this dress was going to blow Matt away.
          "Norah, is it on?? Let me see!" Her mom called impatiently.

          Norah slowly opened the door and her mom gasped a loud. "Oh my god Norah, that's so beautiful on you. How does it feel?" She asked as Norah walked out to test out the length of the skirt.
          "It feels better than anything I've ever put on. I feel like I'm surrounded in a cloud." She replied as she did a small twirl as if she was child, "I need this dress."
          "Then it's yours!"
          Norah squealed as she walked back into the dressing room to get dressed. She hung the dress carefully on the hanger before handing it out to her mom. As she was slipping her jeans on, she heard the question she had been waiting for her mother to ask.

          "So.. Are you going to tell me more about this Matthew character?"
          "What do you want to know?"
          "Has he been treating you right? Is he good looking? Does he support what you want out of life?"

          "Jeez mom, one at a time.. Yes, he treats me perfectly, he is very handsome, and yes he is extremely supportive of me." Norah responded as she walked out of the dressing room and hung the rejected dresses on the bar outside the rooms.
          "When do I get to meet him?"
          "Well, I mean I'm pretty sure I'm meeting his parents soon, so maybe Christmas time?"

          Norah walked around the jewelry area as her mom went and put the dress up at the counter for them to hold it. She was looking at a pair of red studs when her phone started ringing. She pulled it out of her bag and saw it was Matt. A smile spread across her face as she answered it.

          "Guess what I'm doing right now?" She asked, as she put the studs back.
          "You are climbing Everest?" He answered, playfully.
          "Noo, I just bought my dress for the event! Now I'm accessorizing, but I'm not having any luck.
          "I'm sure you'll look great in whatever you find. Are you having a good time?"
          "You're too sweet to me. I'm having a pretty great time, I missed my mom. Although she keeps pressing me for details about you and about when she's gonna meet you.."
          "How about Christmas?" He suggested. A smile spread across her face.

          "Christmas sounds perfect. I have to go, she's coming over to help me with jewelry. I love you!"
          "I love you too, my darling. I miss you."


          "Mom, thank you so much for everything." Norah said as she hugged her mom on the front porch.
          "Thank you for letting me be a part of it." Miranda spoke softly. Norah could hear the sadness in her voice.

          "Mom, is everything alright?" Norah stepped back and looked her mom over.
          Miranda waved her hand as if she was brushing the question off, "Yes of course I'm alright. I just missed my baby girl."
          "Mom, you know I'm always a phone call away. I miss you too. I gotta go, but I will call you later on, alright?" Norah responded as she gave her mom another hug before getting in a cab.


          Norah walked into the dorm room with her arms full of bags, causing Autumn to jump up from her bed to help. Norah proceeded to fill her in with the details from the day with her mom as they unpacked all the new items and set them up to where they wouldn't get messed up.

          "So we're going shopping for my attire next week right?" Autumn asked as she settled back on to her bed.
          "You don't have anything?" Norah asked as she wiped off her makeup and put her hair in a ponytail.
          "It's all last season. Trust me Norah, this is crème de la crème we're going to. I have to have something brand new."
          "Well then we'll go shopping next week!" Norah responded as she slipped into her pajamas and into bed. "But for now, I'm going to bed because I'm exhausted.."
          "Goodnight Norah!"
© Copyright 2018 trippyvibes2083 (hearttrips2083 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2175744-Lessons-of-Love-Part-8