*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2175985-Gridlock
Rated: E · Editorial · Opinion · #2175985
How Getting Around Has Changed
During the early years of the Twentieth Century many towns and cities supported streetcars or trolly systems. Some were horse drawn. Others were powered by electricity from overhead wires. San Francisco had Cable Cars - probably because of the steep hills. Because of steel-on-steel traction limitations. Railroads seldom build grades steeper than 2%.

General Motors discovered an opportunity and purchased most of the tracks and rolling stock across the nation, replacing them with affordable buses. Then came zoning laws and the need for automobiles; then shopping malls, more gas stations, suburbs, commuters and traffic gridlock.

Last month Ford Motor Company announced that the era of private automobile ownership is drawing to a close. Now they’ve invested in the electric scooter movement.

Today’s news reports that parking lots and structures are falling out of favor in San Francisco and Los Angeles. For years San Francisco has been levied a surcharge for driving into the city.

Is it time to reevaluate the corner we’ve painted ourselves into. On any day a kid on a $30 bicycle can reach the same destination ahead of someone driving a $75,000 pickup?




© Copyright 2018 Radioman (aesquad at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2175985-Gridlock