*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2176075-The-Kerouac-Effect
Rated: 13+ · Other · Activity · #2176075
Determining Who Worked the Easier Job
Jack Kerouac created a following in 1957 with his novel, On the Road. I had difficulty classifying his writing as literature, so I was late follower. He addresses a lot of territory in his chapters, describing his trek to Colorado in order to visit his friend (was it Neal?). Along the way he and his friends, at least once, pissed from the back of a flatbed truck as it sped along US 6. He didn’t mention the backwash that was certain to have occurred. During the summer of 1953 three of us enjoyed a similar experience, but in a different place and for a different reason.

We were farm boys, teenagers, working for neighbors harvesting and storing summer hay crops. Most often the farmer towed a farm trailer behind his tractor while two of us jogged ahead of the tractor snagging bales and hefting them on to the deck. The third worked on the trailer stacking them. It was a far easier job. So who would be the fortunate one? Years later, while discussing out youthful endeavors, we often referred to our selection as the Kerouac Effect.

While returning to the hay field we stood at the back edge of the trailer attempting to make water. The time required was proportional to the bumpy road. But someone was always first. That person got his choice.
© Copyright 2018 Radioman (aesquad at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2176075-The-Kerouac-Effect