*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2176336-Mommy-Time
Rated: E · Short Story · Women's · #2176336
Busy moms should be careful what they pray for.
         
Sims          

Mommy Time


But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. (Matthew 6:6 NIV)

         Shelly remembered when mornings began at 8:00 am and she had no responsibilities except for rent and student loans. That was before she got married. She met Robert in the undergraduate library on campus in her sophomore year of college and immediately felt a connection with him. He was the heartthrob on campus; tall, athletic, and intellectual. He was a star basketball player and captain of the debate team. Robert made smart look sexy. That combination of handsomeness and brains attracted all of the girls on campus.
         He would cause a small ruckus whenever he came into the library. The deep richness of his voice even had the librarian swooning over him. "God just didn't make many like him," the librarian would say. Shelly work in the library as her work-study job. Robert seemed to always make an appearance when she was working.
         He asked her on a few dates before she finally said yes. He had invited her to his church one Friday night. Shelly thought it was the perfect date for a young woman of faith. His church was having a gospel concert and she loved praise and worship.
         They dated for six years and Shelly was beginning to think Robert would never ask her to marry him. Her patience was wearing thin. Gina, her best friend, told her that nothing in life came easy. "Let perseverance finish its work so that you will be mature and prepared when he does ask the question." Shelly thought about this and began to pray to God for patience.
         Shelly and Robert were married the next year and pregnant before their one-year anniversary. After the birth of their second child, together, they decided she would become a stay-at-home mother. The trials and tribulations of staying home every day began to wear her out, and again she found herself praying for strength and patience.

         Shelly could hear the water running through the pipes, that was an indication that Robert was in the shower. Shelly knew it was 5:45am before she could focus her eyes on the clock. Her husband was an early riser and worked long days, but was always home on the weekends. He spent quality time with his family every chance he had.
         Shelly was having a love-hate relationship with her status as a stay-at-home mother. She had a college degree in marketing, but rarely found the time to use it. She opted for volunteer community involvement and spending time with her friends in social organizations. Planning events made her feel useful outside of the home.
         The Good Faith Church was where she spent most of her volunteer hours as a volunteer coordinator for the food pantry and day kitchen that served meals to the homeless. She also spent a lot of time there building her Christian faith. She learned many good Christian principles that she used in her other volunteer jobs and her daily home life. She put good use to the principles of hope and faith when having to deal with the ins and outs of working with volunteers. Shelly spent time with her social club and a service organization that assisted children. Patience was the number one principle she needed with them. This all sounded like a lot, volunteering and being a stay-at-home mother, but this was her time to get away from the house and from the demands of small children.
         Shelly retreated from the warm confines of her bed to prepare for her day. Today she had to take Amy to gymnastics; drop Havoc, the family dog, off at the groomers; Jeffrey had a play date with little Douglas down the block; pick-up the dry cleaning; and stop by Ms. Henry's apartment to check on her all while toting around her 9-month old baby. Ms. Henry was a seasoned woman in her early sixties who loved children and would babysit for Shelly in her time of need.
         Robert exited the bathroom fully dressed and stared at his wife sitting on the bed facing him. He walked over to her and placed the softest kiss upon her forehead. "They will call today, I can feel it. Trust in your faith and have a little patience." He told her before slipping on his black loafers and grabbing a jacket from the coat hook in their bedroom.
         "I know I'm being a little silly, but I really want this." She followed him to the kitchen door that led into the garage.
         Shelly had applied for a work-from-home position in marketing for a small public relations firm. She kept her skill level up over the years through continuing education and volunteer assignments. Based on the interview, she had a good feeling about things, but was beginning to feel anxious when they had not called.
         Robert kissed her cheek and said, "If it is meant for you to have it, then it is yours. I will be home early today." He opened the garage door, got into the car, and drove away.
          When Robert leaves for work and before her children wake for the day, Shelly gets in her quiet time. The most important Christian principle she learned was prayer. A busy community life, a husband, three small children, a dog, and a turtle; she found it difficult to make time to develop her relationship with God. She believed the secret to a strong Christian life is having quiet time with the Lord. She called this 30 minutes in the morning her mommy time.
         Usually mommy time is done in her bathroom suite. Her vanity was placed just inside of her spacious closet, which was located inside of the bathroom. At 6:15am, she entered her safe haven, and closed the door. She sat in her chair, opened her bible, and began to read and take notes.
         After only ten minutes, Shelly heard a soft knocking on her bathroom door.
         "Mommy! I hafta go poddy." Her oldest child Amy said through the door. Amy was a delightful child, always willing to help in every way. She loved to cook toast and brag to everyone about her scrumptious mini-cakes she makes in her own oven, an easy bake oven.
         "Amy, what are you doing up, you're not supposed to be awake for another hour." Shelly gently told her.
         "Jeffy woke me up. I hafta poddy." Amy responded with an agitated tone. Almost to say why do you think I'm awake, duhh!
         "Can't you use the other bathroom, sweety? I'm doing my mommy time in here."
         "Jeffy's in the other one... Oh, there he's out."
         Shelly read a few more passages before she closed her bible and knelt down on her knees beside her chair, she said a quick "Thank You Lord". Shelly always made list, to make sure she never left anything or anyone out of her prayers. There is so much to be thankful and grateful for, she never wanted to forget. She pulled her list from the pages of her bible and began to pray.
         "Heavenly Father, thank you for a wonderful husband and children..." Before she could finish her statement, Amy screamed through the closed door.
         "Mom, Jeffy's going into the nursery."
         "NURSERY?! NO! He'll wake up the..."
         Crying began to pierce the quietness of the early morning. Shelly began to believe she would not get in her mommy time or her daily prayers.
         "Amy, can you get Jeffy out of the nursery and close the door. Maybe the baby will go back to sleep. He's not supposed to get up for two hours."
         "Yes, Mom." Amy easily accepted her role as big sister.
         "Father, I don't know if this is your sense of humor, but every time I ask you for more patience, you give me another baby." Shelly listened to the baby continue to cry. Mothers know their baby's cries and this was not a cry to be worried about. She stayed on her knees in her closet and continued to listen.
         "Lord, PLEASE, put RJ back to sleep." Right on cue, the baby stopped crying and Amy returned to the door.
         "Jeffy's out of the nursery and RJ is sleeping, Mom."
         "Thank you, Honey. And Thank you Lord."
         "I'm gonna poddy now." Shelly could not help but smile. Amy made that statement with such pride. She had gotten RJ back to sleep and Jeffrey back to bed. She truly was a huge help sometimes. Then other times Amy was a bear to deal with. She was definitely daddy's little princess. She could do no wrong in Robert's eyes. Amy was also good at being bossy to her little brother.
         Shelly continued with her prayer list, "Lord, here are the people in our church who are sick or injured and need your comfort and healing..."
         "Mom, Jeffy's combing Havoc's fur with my tooth brush." Amy screamed angrily through the door. She was a great big sister, but as brothers do, Jeffrey knew how to make her mad. He would purposefully pop the heads off her baby dolls and leave cars all over her room. Once he made mud pies in her easy bake oven and that really got Amy going.
         Shelly yelled through the door, "Jeffy, please don't comb Havoc's fur with your sister's tooth brush."
         Maintaining her composure, she returned to her prayer list, "Okay. Where was I? Healing...Healing... Paul Johnson, Mary Matthews, and Barbara..."
         "Mom, I'm hungry. When's breakfast?" Jeffrey asked through the door. At only 5 years old, most people thought he was at least 7 years old because he was tall and very well spoken. Aside from annoying his big sister, he played with frogs and rode his bicycle through the house. Eating is also something that Jeffrey took very seriously. His stomach was akin to a garbage disposal. He could eat for hours and never get full. His metabolism was high enough to burn those calories right off.
         "I'll be done here in a few minutes, Jeffrey, right after my mommy time. Can you wait a few minutes for breakfast?" There was silence. "Jeffrey?" More Silence. "Jeffrey?" Seems that Jeffrey had moved on, another trait undoubtedly he picked up from Shelly, impatience.
         "Father, I pray for our church building program. I pray for a promotion for my husband. I pray for a 20 pound weight loss for..."
         "Mom, how many eggs do I need for waffles?"
         Without thought she answered, "Two. Father, I pray for a safe trip for Jean and Joe. A healthy pregnancy for Margie, a 20-pound weight loss for... WAFFLES?" Wide-eyed Shelly began speaking much faster while coming to her feet and heading toward the door.
         "I pray for wisdom and guidance for the president of the United States, the governor and the mayor. I pray for peace in the Middle East and in Central America."
         At that moment, the baby began crying again and this was the cry you didn't want to hear. The cries of a hungry and wet baby.
         "I pray for the success of the teen ministry and for more grade school- and preschool- teachers. I pray for new curtains for the living room. But, Lord, please don't send me any more ... PATIENCE. Amen."

© Copyright 2018 Lisawash (lisawash at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2176336-Mommy-Time