*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2177015-I-Remeber-My-War
Rated: ASR · Non-fiction · Other · #2177015
Inspiredby my book Me and My Black Dog
I REMEMBER

My War

Inspired by the book:

"Me and my Black Dog"

By P T Saunders


I remember sitting on my bunk in my cabin, on board the SS Canberra. Waiting for the orders to disembark.
I remember feeling terrified at the prospect of having to kill or be killed.
I remember the final breakfast and the thousands of eggs the cooks had boiled
I remember the long queues of men and boys that snaked up the ship stairwell.
I remember the nervous whispered chatter and thinking why are they whispering? Were in the middle of nowhere.
I remember the pitch back darkness as I lowered myself in the sardine can that was the landing craft.
I remember the fear I felt as the first Argie jets arrived and started to circle us like a swarm of angry bees.
I remember seeing the ships light up with fir as the Exocet Missiles hit them one by one.
I remember the men on the decks their burning bodies resembling moving torches, that lit up the night sky.
I remember them screaming in agony as they jumped over the side.
I remember stepping into water waist high.
I remember thinking "I want to go home, I don't want to die. Not here, not in this godforsaken hole.
I remember the march, three days in total.
I remember the wind, the rain and the many and the bitterly cold nights trying to get some rest before the next day's yomp.
I remember patrolling around the enemy site both day and at night, whilst wait until the time was right.
I remember the night we started our fight. It was to begin at midnight.
I remember fixing my bayonet.
I remember how the turned the night to day as the flares lit up the black cloudless sky.
I remember my first target of three. They were manning a machine gun position just above me.
I remember that first contact. I'll never forget.
I remember the taste of blood in my mouth as I fought my way through.
I remember the human destruction as I filled and buried the body bags.
I remember my dear friends as I laid them to rest.

© Copyright 2018 P T Saunders (ptsaunders at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2177015-I-Remeber-My-War