*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2177186-Mirror-Monster
Rated: GC · Short Story · Horror/Scary · #2177186
A reflection is a simple thing right? Well in Sam's case, maybe not.

Mirror Monster:

For just a moment, the mind was able to snap back from it's drug induced euphoria. Remembering how all this started was a tragic movie that replayed in my mind all too often as of late, but why not go down memory lane once again...just for the helluva it.

10 years ago-

Today was a very special day because today was my 13th birthday. My father, a big shot who secretly worked for the local mob in his off hours was waiting for friends and family to arrive. Always in a suit father was a dashing man who took his appearance seriously and while looks meant everything to him he was also imposing. I suppose in his line of work those two qualities made perfect sense. My mom however was a bit different. Shy and sometimes distant she didn't have the best upbringing; or so I was told. Abused by her father and outcasted by her half-siblings she grew up looking for love and acceptance. Then she met the one man who changed all that, my dad, and she fell in love immediately.

It was almost time for the party but no one had arrived yet. Mom had decorations up and dad was of course taste testing some of the food. Dad wasn't the most patient person and before long he began pacing around checking his watch and peeking out the window curtains. Still no sign of cars pulling up. Suddenly, a young girl walked up the stairs holding a red gift box. I could see her out the window but didn't recognize her. Wearing a pretty yellow dress (as if on her way to a party) she walked up to the door and began to press the doorbell. My father opened the door just as she pressed the button " Hello sweetheart, and what's your name"? but the girl didn't say a word she simply stared into my father's eye's and handed him the box. She quickly turned and headed back down the steps.

My father, standing in the doorway confused looked down at the box. He then glanced out to the street surveying both ends of the avenue. Upon opening the box my father's eyes grew wide with terror. Quickly closing the lid my father turned and entered the house in haste. Shutting and locking the door in one motion. Making a second glance out to the street from the curtain dad turned to me and said " Sam, go to your room and pack a bag we're going on a trip". Seeing the intense fear in his eyes I turned to head towards my room. At that moment, my mother yelped in the kitchen. My father immediately drew the pistol that he kept tucked away under his suit jacket and set his sights on the now dark kitchen.

Slowly walking out from the darkness was my mom. She had one arm behind her back and her head was pulled back as if someone was holding her hair tight. I then heard the one voice I will never forget as long as I live. " You won't be needing that Rams!" said in a gruff foreboding tone. Our family's name was Ramsey and this quaint little house belonged to Eustice, Carolyn and Samuel. The Ramsey family.

(Heavy thuds hitting a solid surface)

I suppose Ram's was my father's nickname. That man beside my mom wasn't a very big guy but he was burly. Bald and built like a small tank. He was wearing a black leather jacket and gloves. I couldn't see the man behind my mom but once they're presence was felt the atmosphere in the room changed. " Put the gun down Rams that's no way to greet friends." My father slowly and reluctantly placed the gun on the floor. The man then walked up to my father and placed one hand on his cheek and spoke in silent to his other side. I wish I knew what had been said because in that moment my father began to sweat as if the temperature in the room increased substantially. The man then put his arm around my father shoulder's and turned towards me "Come on son, we're gonna take a little walk downstairs". As we were lead to the basement a cold realization set in. Today will change my life...forever.

(Heavy thuds hitting a solid surface)

(Alarm blaring)

Woman over P.A. system: Floor staff to room 7-5 immediately! We have a code blue! I repeat floor staff to room 7-5 we have a code blue!

I awoke briefly to hear talking...

(man) "How did he bash his head open in a padded room? How is that possible?"

(woman) "He hit his head repeatedly in a weak spot. One he made himself apparently".

(man) "My God! He's blindfolded! That's impossible"!

(woman) " I know but this is out of our hands now. His fits are getting worse and so are his injuries. We need to get him to medical to see Dr.Darlene".

Medical Building-Conference Room

" Good evening ladies and gentleman my name is Dr. Darlene Blacke. For those of you who do not know of me I am head of Psychiatric Research here and I've worked with many of our long term patients in helping their sometimes mental instabilities. Today, I would like to bring to your attention case no. 2-431693 subject Samuel Ramsey or also know as "Loomis". For those of you not familiar with him this man is wanted in several states for murder, double homicide and aggressive retaliation. After significant study into Samuels psyche he has as of late been diagnosed with a rare form of Dual Personality Disorder, in this case, Reflective Dual Disorder.

(Head Doctor)

"I'm sorry did you say "Reflective Dual Disorder" Doctor?"

(Dr.Darlene)

" I did and allow me to explain this further. Most Dual Personalities react based on need for the situation. In Samuel's case, he is constantly trying to repress the memories of the trauma that happened to his parents 10 years ago. According to our studies, Samuel was subjected to something called Mirror torture or sometimes called Mirror manipulation. By watching a horrific event take place through a mirrors reflection it is believed by some that the event won't create lasting negative effects on the brain while also making them bare witness for the sake of information or control through fear.

" Therefore, at the sight of his own reflection Samuel takes on a new persona. Loomis. Who is by all accounts the violent darker half of Samuel. After Samuel or Loomis should I say was brought to our facility in just 2 days he put 3 guards in critical condition severely wounded one of our own staff and dislocated the shoulder of our medical examiner after showing signs of fever. It has been observed that this is a reaction to his psychological change into "Loomis".

"Speaking of change this occurrence doesn't just affect Samuels mind. He takes on physical qualities of Loomis as well. According to reports the alter ego Loomis is significantly stronger and more agile that Samuel is even capable of. In fact the sheer amount of adrenaline he can produce is enough to drive his body for extended periods of time. We're talking days on end. The data we have collected is both staggering and horrifying to say the least. In all honesty and I say this with the utmost respect to our profession, I would consider "Loomis" to be a monster in the literal sense and something that should not exist in our world".

( Head Doctor)

"Dr. Darlene, you say you have collected data to verify some of these findings. Exactly how did you obtain this data if Loomis is so dangerous?"

(Dr.Darlene)

" Not easy, and without going into too much detail for sake of time all safety precautions were taken. Everything from restraints to sedatives were used and all that was really needed for the testing was short term monitoring of the change. Once enough data was collected the subject was put to sleep so as not to harm anyone or himself. Thankfully, our methods of sedation work quite well".

(Head Doctor)

"I was able to get ahold of some of the old records of the incident involving our subject and I understand his parents were brutally tortured then burned alive. Is this correct?"

(Dr.Darlene)

"This is correct Doctor. The coroner at the time reported broken bones all across the couples body and the mother showed signs of possible vaginal penetration. Suggesting that she and Mr. Ramsey engaged right before the incident or it happened during".

( Room Staff)

People talking out of turn to one another.

(Head Doctor)

"Jesus Christ! Everyone settle down! Dr. Darlene please continue"

(Dr. Darlene)

"Thank You Doctor. To our knowledge Samuel was meant to die in the fire along with his parents, but when the firefighters showed up he was sitting outside on the steps of the burning house with bloody wrists and no other scars or marks on him. It's as if he simply walked out of the house".

(Head Doctor)

" So, Doctor. I understand that Samuel's behavior is becoming more erratic and dangerous. He can't be kept alone for long periods of time without surveillance correct?"

(Dr. Darlene)

"Correct Doctor, furthermore seeing as how his personal injuries are also beginning to worsen I called this meeting to inform you all of a contingency plan that I have for Samuel. I also wish to notify everyone that at this point there will be no need for further testing of Samuel Ramsey. I have concluded that his mental state is too far gone and beyond our capacity to heal. With that being said there is a program I'm aware of that may be able to give him a meaningful life, if of course he can survive the treatments"

(Head Doctor)

"Wait, survive the treatments? What program is this and why would his survival be in question regarding these types of treatments"

(Dr. Darlene)

" Very good question Doctor, Ladies and gentleman if I may have your attention to the projector screen here". (cutting on the projector). This is the "Lazarus Program". Designed for war veterans suffering from P.T.S.D this program will allow both men and women who suffer from traumatic stress a chance to do what they love. Serve their country.

"Thanks to a good friend of mine working within the military intensive care unit. This information was passed on to me for special cases such as Samuel. Of course, as I mentioned before this may come at a cost for Samuel if he cannot survive the treatments but this may be his only option in obtaining a meaningful life".

(Head Doctor)

" You say, this could come at a cost. Just how extensive are these treatments and is there any chance they don't work on our patient. Again, these treatments are meant for ex-military suffering from P.T.S.D. is it possible Samuel is in a different class of mental stress altogether?"

(Dr. Darlene)

" Well, allow me to be a bit frank for just a moment. This IS the only option for Samuel Ramsey. His psyche is beyond repair. Recent data shows that the majority of brain activity for Samuel actually comes from his alter ego Loomis and the longer he's left to his own thoughts his mind will continue to degrade. Personally, if Loomis somehow became the dominant persona I would suggest immediate decommissioning of the subject. He or should I say it should not be allowed to remain in this world. Also, if the "Lazarus Program" did indeed fail to re-wire what's left of Samuel. This would indeed be the end result. I've confirmed this with my friend and they would only need to communicate this to the program's personnel. So everyone, that is where we are with the matter. I wouldn't say it's the prettiest option but neither is Samuel's past. This may be the only chance he has left. Are there any questions?"

(Low talking amongst staff)

(Head Doctor)

"Well Doctor, I suppose this is our best case scenario. Contact your friend right away and prepare Samuel for transportation immediately. Well done Dr. Darlene and let's hope we've given poor Samuel some peace for his family if all goes well. I would also like to be updated on the progress of our patient if at all possible".

( Dr. Darlene)

"Absolutely. I'll have your name and information forwarded over to the team and they'll be sure to reach out to you as soon as the subject arrives on site. Thank you everyone for your time and patience and have a great rest of your day".

After the last doctor exited the room. Dr. Darlene began to gather her papers when her cell phone rang. " Hello?" "Good evening doctor Blacke. How did your meeting go?" asked a voice. " Mr. Jackson hello. the meeting went very well. Our patient will be en route to the facility within the next few hours sir". said Darlene. " Very good, very good indeed. You never cease to amaze me sweetheart. Ever since you delivered that package to his father I knew there were great things in your future. Those two men were supposed to leave no trace of the bodies but instead leave the son alive to become some sort of mental whack job hell bent on committing violence just because he can't cope with the death of his parents. No matter, we've cleaned up messes before and now this one will be our greatest achievement yet. Imagine it, Our family having their very own government trained attack dog. This is what true power looks like". said the man. " Thank you Mr. Jackson. The family means everything to me and this will only solidify our agenda. The "Loomis" persona will serve us well.

The End

         

26

         

© Copyright 2018 Jackson Wyn (jacksonwyn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2177186-Mirror-Monster