*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2177380-History-of-Xol
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by John
Rated: 13+ · Draft · Fantasy · #2177380
^^^^^^^^^^
         In the cold land, all that existed was darkness, perpetual and consuming. It ate and tore apart all that it existed. Animals ran rampant throughout the lands seeking solace and salvation, plants attempted to gain sustenance from the little water that they could get, and humans tried to survive in community huts where all would gather around each other like penguins seeking warmth and security. But, the darkness held no quarter to all that it stood against. Death was spoken and death was given to all that existed until nearly all had been conquered. Nothing could lead them to peace.
 
         One day, darkness was unusually quiet. The killings and the scavengings ceased and quieted for a moment. None can understand why, but the small light in the sky gave them a clue. It was a comet, or a meteor crashing down towards all remaining life. This was the final blow, the final punch that would land on the purple eyed, bruised, and battered fighter called life. Surely, none could be any worse, or better. Some fought for survival, but others just wanted the quick and painless death, which contrasted with the fatal slow and agonizing pain the darkness delivered.
 
         Every human ran outside the huts, manic and screaming for the end to come sooner. The plants, which were before wilting, rose to meet their final source of light. And the animals too, ran around howling, screeching, and clawing to the sky to seek death.
But none was given. Everything living waited and waited for the comet to finally touch down, but it was never given. Cries of rage, fury, and demented souls was the response. Even death itself could not give them what they wanted. They just had to deal with the darkness.
 
FLASH,
 
BOOM.
 
         An explosion, eruption, or an end finally reached them. They stared at the sky. Rings of light emitted and spread throughout the stratosphere. Rocks of fire rained down in the far empty valleys. And for a few seconds, that was it. No end. But, suddenly, all the rings and rocks surged back to the origin of the explosion. A loud pulsating sound produced and blindly all that stared.
 
         A giant figure, levitated in the sky. Cross legged, and upright. Blue and faceless. Giant as the mountains. It stared, emotionless, pupil-less, and merciless. It’s light engulfed the land. Ended their suffering, and gave them a new one. As each living thing was surrounded in light, the darkness was driven off, and exterminated.
 
         A new burden was given to these poor souls, one that elicited fear even to this new god that floated above their heads. Peace.
The blue god that was levitating above them granted them salvation and safety from darkness, by giving them fire and the power to bear and rear children. With these resources, the people could finally survive on this harsh cold land, once infested by the shadows, now could thrive with their people. The tribe could grow to an even bigger community, with the animals and plants along with it. And as all life continues to expand, the group will split into even smaller ones.
 
         With the concern for survival decreasing, so will these groups’ idea of tribalism.
Advancements of technology and survival techniques will eventually erode their connection with each other, each becoming an individual. And, these individuals will thrive, being less connected with one another, and focusing more so on trivial matters, instead of sustaining life.
 
         This species was given peace as a gift to leave amongst one another, and a curse as they will later realize. The common enemy of the darkness veiled them into believing that each had the common goal of survival. Now that the veil and illusion was lifted from their vision, they sought to be independent, they sought a hierarchy, they sought ideals of peace, and eventually they sought war with one another. Worse than the painful agonizing deaths of their species delivered by a dark and evil foe; This prolonged extermination will now be dealt on one another.
© Copyright 2018 John (jpep3200 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2177380-History-of-Xol