*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2179376-Et-ex-Laboratory-Inferos
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Action/Adventure · #2179376
Orlaith knows everything. She has to escape from The Laboratory from Hell.
"Whatever you do, do not open that red door!"
I froze in place, my hand hovering over the intricately carved handle before me.
"Back. Away." Dean forced out tersely, gun aimed directly at my lower back should I suddenly decide to throw open the now unlocked door open.
"Dean-" I started calmly in an attempt to reason with him.
"Don't Dean me Orlaith, what the hell are you thinking!" He roared at me. "You know what the punishment is for even joking about opening that door."
"And why is that Dean?" I asked him coldly. "What is it exactly they don't want us to see?"
"The organization is only trying to protect us-" He defended them again.
"Protect us?" I scoffed. "Like they protected Elicia? Like they protected Cyril? Our parents?" I badgered him, not daring to turn around and face him in that uniform any longer. Not capable of playing stupid anymore.
"Those were accidents. It wasn't the organization's fault." His lies fell so flat that even he had to know how useless it was to try covering up for them at this point.
My eyes chased the strange symbols and odd figures dancing around on that cursed red color in front of me, my resolve only building as I moved my hand away from the handle. "You know, I almost believed it once." I told him. "Died protecting us?” Listening to the lie roll off my tongue made me sick to my stomach. “My mother hid her journal before they executed her Dean. She was planning on killing me. She wanted to destroy all of this." I gestured to the grey, lifeless tunnels that spread out on either side of us.
"What are you talking about?" He asked me wearily.
I laughed humorlessly at him. "I'm talking about us Dean. I'm talking about what this place really is."
I turned to face him, doing my best not to lose it right then and there at the unfairness of it all as the only person I ever let myself completely trust met my eyes in the guise of the enemy. "You always knew didn't you?"
He lowered his gun ever so slightly. "Orla-, when's the last time you took your medicine?" He asked with the gall to look concerned about me right then.
I knew that I didn't need to say it out loud. The silent panic growing on his face was enough to confirm what I had already suspected. What he was so afraid I might figure out some day.
It didn't matter.

I wasn't under their control anymore.

"Go ahead and shoot." I goaded him fearlessly. "They're just gonna have you hunt me down and kill me anyway when you tell them." I told him.
I hated how genuine the pain in his eye looked. The guilt scrawled across his face in big, blood-soaked letters. "Please Orla-, I can protect you. Just walk away and pretend this never happened." He shattered as the weight of it set in. "I'm…I'm sorry." He began to plead for forgiveness, dropping the charade. "I had no choice. I had nowhere else to go, no other options. I was four years old without a scrap of food to eat or a safe place to hide and they offered me a buffet of foods I didn't even knew existed and promised me that I would never, ever, have to live out there with those monsters again." He begged me for some understanding of why he’d lied to me. To all of us.
"Yeah?" I asked around the lump forming in my throat. "Funny." I told him slowly, buying time to steady my shaking hands. "I'd rather die to those things out there then spend another second in here with monsters like you." I spat and launched myself backward, flinging the door open behind me and crashing onto the soft, white-substance covered floor on the other side.
"Orlaith!" He screamed in fear from the doorway as alarms blared out deafeningly and I scrambled to my feet, not even pausing to let the petrified look on his face sink in as frantic thoughts of what I'd done and just what those alarms would bring right to me if I didn’t get out of there as fast as I possibly could flooded my brain.
His screams were quickly swallowed up more and more the further away I ran with everything I had, as far away from that damned place as I could go.
As far away from Et ex Laboratory Inferos as I had ever been.
© Copyright 2019 FalaKaye (falakaye at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2179376-Et-ex-Laboratory-Inferos