*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2179497-Frostbiting
Rated: E · Short Story · Contest Entry · #2179497
Another boating adventure!
Billie often talked Jamie into his adventures.

"In the middle of Winter, how did you manage to get into a mess?" their Dad asked.

Since they hadn't gotten into trouble since September, they thought they might get some slack. Guess not.

Dad had to leave his office at EB, again. When called by the Coast Guard, again. To pick the brothers up, again.

This time, at the Academy, North of the Gold Star bridge and EB.

"Well Dad," Jamie spoke up first. "A letter came from the director of youth sailing at the Club. Here it is," he continued, unfolding it and handing it to his Dad.

"They're starting a "Frostbite Racing Series", using the Club 420' s," Billie added. "I thought we should practice. We launched one of the 420' s at the Club, and sailed up the river."

"Where's the 420?" Dad asked.

"Well," Billie said slowly, "if you could drive us up to Mamacoke Cove, across from the Sub Base...."

"Yeah," Jamie chimed in. "A picture is worth a thousand words."

Looking out over a frozen Cove, Dad shook his head.

"How did you clowns get into this trap," he asked, "and how did you get out of it?"

The 420 was on top of the ice, out toward the mouth of the Cove.

"The wind was great," Billie said with gusto. "We were really moving."

"We tacked into the Cove, and into the sun," Jamie said. "Never saw the ice until we were on it."

"The ice was too thin near shore to escape that way," Billie added. "But, fortunately, a patrol boat from the Sub Base saw us, came to the rescue, and dropped us at the Academy."
.
"The 420 could be a great ice racer," Jamie offered.

Dad shook his head again.
© Copyright 2019 Sailor M (sailor40 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2179497-Frostbiting