*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2180278-A-Lucky-Run
Rated: E · Short Story · Contest Entry · #2180278
Luckily Susan found us.
"Come on Dad," the kids pleaded, "tell us the story. We love hearing it."

Dad rolled his eyes, while proud that they still admired him.

"It was a dark and stormy night," Dad started.

"Boo, boo," the kids all laughed. "Not that one! You know the one we want."

"Oh," Dad exclaimed. "The one about the lucky run?"

"Yeah, yeah!"

"It was a nice Spring night," Dad started again. "Not freezing Winter with snow on the ground, or hot sweaty Summer. I went for a stroll around the back yard."

"What did you find?" little Bella squealed.

"You all know," Dad chuckled, "the rear gate was open, so I decided to go for a run."

"Not that you kids should ever do that," Dad looked at them sternly.

"Of course not," Max replied, winking at his litter mates.

"I found a brook not too far into the woods," Dad continued the story. "The water was OK, but honestly not as good as we have here at home. So, I continued on."

"Further along, I heard something, or someone, coming toward me," Dad whispered.

"Were you scared?" Bella asked.

"Of course not, " Dad smiled. "I was strong, and there was no bad smell from the beautiful creature that appeared."

"Your Dad smelled OK too," Mom said as she joined in.

"We ran through the woods together," Dad added. "But, and it's a big BUT. We ended up in Farmer Carson's barnyard, and he closed the gate behind us."

"Oh no," Bella cried, even though she knew what came next.

"Farmer Carson recognized me, and called our lovely Susan, who had been out searching for her family's favorite all night."

"Susan brought both of us home," Mom finished the story, "and a short time later, your litter joined our family."
© Copyright 2019 Sailor M (sailor40 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2180278-A-Lucky-Run