*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2182266-The-Little-Plunger-That-Could
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Short Story · Comedy · #2182266
A little plunger feels useless
The Little Plunger That Could

Once there was a little plunger who lived in a yellow bucket under the sink in the corner of the bathroom. It lived with Mr. Brush a sweet old nettle bathroom brush who had been used nary a time in its lifetime in the household. It was melancholy for although it was new and strong it had yet to be used.
"What if I'm never used Mr. Brush?"
Mr. Brush rolled his eyes. "Have a little patience little plunger! This house drops many big ones and has faulty pipes. They will need you in the end."
Time went by until it happened! The owner laid a Big One that would not flush! It was time. The little plunger vibrated with excitement.
'It's time to test my worth!'
It was brought over the white porcelain god with sure hands, dropped in the stinky water and placed over The One Who Would Not Flush. Then it began to plunge with all its might but try as it could the Big One would not go down until to its shame it rolled over itself disgusting the Owner.
"This Plunger is useless," they screeched as they sank their hand in stinky water to unroll the plunger.
The little plunger was put back into the yellow basket and left to its shame.
Mr Brush consoled the distraught plunger. "Now now there little plunger. Sometimes we don't succeed in our first try. But you know what? It doesn't matter how many times you fall but how many times you are willing to get back up and try again."
The little plunger vowed that a Big One would be plunged one day by it.
The next week a new arrival to basket caused it to worry. It was a new plunger bigger and stronger than the little plunger. It felled a Big One on its first try and became the primary plunger of the household.
"If only you were as big as me, you could have felled the Big One already," it gloated.
Mr. Brush shook his nettled head. "There is nothing wrong with being small. You just need different techniques to plunge is all. All your gloating is going to get you in trouble Plunger!"
The days went on and the little plunger fell into disarray from disuse. Until one day it came to pass...the big plunger could not be found!
"Mom! Where's the Plunger!"
"Your grandma lent it to your uncle!"
"What! We'll never see it again!"
"We still have the other one...use that one!"
The little plunger was hoisted from the yellow basket and tapped free of the accumulated dust. Then it was placed over the Big One.
"Little plunger! The bacteria tell me you are not a great plunger. I shall become the unflushable one...The Great One!"
"I will do my duty and you shall go down like every other Big One!"
The Big One laughed. "You can try little plunger! You can try!"
The plunger indeed tried but just like the first time it failed to plunge the Big One.
"Hmm let's try something else. Let's try unblocking the shower drain. Sometimes the clog stems from there."
The little plunger was placed over the shower drain and once more plunged till the drain let out a small hiccup of noise.
"Good! Now let's see if that Big One will go down."
Once more the plunger was placed over the Big One who just laughed at its effort but something began to happen. The water levels began to drop little by little.
The Big One screeched. "NO! This can't be! I am the Great One! The Unflushable Object! I will not go down without a fight!"
It used its bulk to hang on and the little plunger had to work twice as hard to plunge the Big One.
"There! The water's gone down bastante! Let's see if it'll flush now. If not we keep trying."
The owner flushed and the Big One screeched as it was sucked down the pipe to end where all Big One's went...the sewers.
"Finally! I thought it'd never go down! You're not so bad little plunger."
"Did it go down?"
"Yeah mom we don't need another plunger! This one's good!"
The little plunger glowed from its triumph.
'I did it! I plunged a Big One! I am useful! I proved myself today. I can go to rest happily now.'
The little plunger basked in the glow of contentment.
"See little plunger? You could do it all along! You just had to believe in yourself. Doubt is the killer of motivation after all. You just needed a push in the right direction and a good handler," Mr. Brush said smiling down at the little plunger.
"I vow that all the Big One's shall go down!"
The next time it was used the Big One did indeed go down.



© Copyright 2019 Late Blooming Dragon (bluesinger at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2182266-The-Little-Plunger-That-Could