*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2183229-452-8652
Rated: E · Short Story · LGBTQ+ · #2183229
An apology in its purest form.

Jade sits atop a bar stool, black mascara runs down his velvet smooth, dark chocolate face. As he sits, he curls his fingers through his hair soaked by the evening sky. The bar looks barely open, and he just sits there, thinking to himself. "How did I get here?"

The door swings open, and a ruggedly handsome Asian male walks in; dragging his hand through his soaked jet black hair, shaking water off his black leather jacket. He sits two chairs down from Jade, and Jade attempts to wipe his eyes. Out of the corner of his eye, Jade notices something white waving in the air. It's a handkerchief.

Jade looks up at the drag queen behind the bar, "You betta grab it honey, or I will."

Jade smiles, taking the handkerchief, as the rugged stranger moves over, "Thank you?"

"Elliot," he replies, as he shakes Jade's hand. "Why you crying?"

"I just spent my birthday by myself. I was waiting on a blind date outside, and he never showed, but the rain did. It was strange how we were supposed to meet. All I had was his number 452-8652," replies Jade as his eyes well up with tears. A single tear rolls down the left side of his cheek. Elliot takes his hand and wipes the tear away.

"Can I give you a gift?" he asks.

"You don't even know me," replies Jade, turning to face him.

"Paula, can I get on the mic?" asks Elliott, standing pushing the barstool.

"Baby, I will never tell you no," she says, as she dries a glass cup.

Elliot stands taking Jade by the hand. His touch makes Jade's heart race, as he sits at an empty table directly in front of the stage.

"Hey beautiful people. It's Jade's Birthday, and I want to give him a gift. A spoken word poem, titled Why you crying?



Why you crying?

With yo beautiful face,

Why you crying?

Tears like stars, in infinite space,

Why you crying?

Your tears will pool into lakes,

I wanna dip,

Take a trip,

Into that pooling place.



Why you crying?

Beautiful black boy,

Why you crying?

Smile at me, bring me joy,

Why you crying?

Will you employ?

I wanna lick,

And bite your lip

Please don't cry, I am implore.



Why you crying?

I know I'm late,

Why you crying?

The rain got in my way,

Why you crying?

Let me say,

I'll align,

With time,

I'm, your blind date,

452-8652,

Let me make it up to you.

Elliot steps down and holds Jade's hand, "I'm sorry, I was late. Happy Birthday Jade."

Jade looks into his eyes, as everything falls away into stale cigarette smoke, Chanel No. 5, and the lingering scent of rain.

© Copyright 2019 Vick Rolling 🏳️‍🌈 (vick04041986 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2183229-452-8652