*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2184549-Gandhi-And-Poverty
by Mush
Rated: E · Article · Educational · #2184549
Commentary of Gandhi's phrase "Poverty is the worst form of Violence "
GANDHI AND POVERTY
          Gandhi (Also known as Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi) was an Indian activist who played a big part both for the Indian and the worldwide history events' development. Through his long eventful life, he talked about a variety of social and political issues, one of those is poverty for which he said: "Poverty is the worst form of violence ". So to be able to understand this phrase we will need to give two definitions. Firstly the definition of poverty and then the definition of violence. Both of those terms can be divided into subcategories.
Starting from the term poverty. Poverty can be divided into two subcategories: Partial poverty and Total poverty. Partial poverty is the state of being inferior in quality or in the number of funds. Total poverty is not being able to fulfill your basic needs.
As for the term violence, we can divide it into two subcategories as well: Emotional violence and Physical violence. Emotional violence is the use of words aimed towards the intentional harm of the target's psychological health while, on the other hand, physical violence is the use of force intended to hurt, damage or kill the target.
Based on the previous definitions and another famous quote of Gandhi, "The rich must live more simply, so the poor may simply live " we are able to fully understand the meaning of Gandhi's words. Basically what he is trying to make us realize is that if we want to live in a society as ideal as possible we ought to firstly annihilate the terms poverty and wealth from both our vocabulary and our society, because those terms create differences among the world population which has as a result the poorer part of the population getting marginalized, which on his own turn is leading the marginalized to feel helpless and to either turn towards criminal behavior to fulfill their want for both their basic needs or their need to react towards the unfairness of society or they are lead to psychological diseases such as depression, which could explain the massive increase of suicides as soon as there was a massive increase in poverty.( For example in USA in 2008 there was a rate of 11.6 % of deaths from suicide while in 2017 the rate went to 14% )
So basically behind Gandhi's phrase: " Poverty is the worst kind of violence " is hidden a message of equality and of respect towards the human as a human and not the human as their yearly income.
© Copyright 2019 Mush (artsy.hoe-5502 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2184549-Gandhi-And-Poverty