*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2185018-310-Entry-Daily-Flash-Fiction
by Tamer
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Writing.Com · #2185018
300 word short story for 3/10 writing prompt: "This isn't what I expected."
"This isn't what I expected," Zelda said, looking up at the Ferris wheel.

"How's that?" I said, over the noise of the crowd.

"This. This... this!" she exclaimed, gesturing with her hands at the whole scene before us: carnival rides, vendors, popcorn-littered lanes, kids throwing darts at balloons for prizes. "When you said 'an intimate day' I ..."

"Now, Zelda," I said, putting my hands on her shoulders. "You said you had something important to tell me, and I said I had an intimate day planned for us. Well? This is it! You love the carnival!"

"I love the carnival, but it's not where I would go for an intimate discussion."

"Well, tell you the truth, I've been wanting to bring you here since it came to town. This seemed like the perfect opportunity. We can still be alone; I'll take you up in the Ferris wheel. We'll get stuck on top. I'll even buy you a cotton candy. Isn't that romantic?"

"Oh, Scott," she said, with some disgust.

I led her to the cotton candy vendor's and then to the line for the Ferris wheel.

When the previous group exited the cars, we were first up. The man held open the security bar and gestured. "Right this way," he said.

"Come on, Zel!," I said, taking her hand. We were the first car to stop at the top.

"What did you have to tell me, dear?" I said, smiling.

"Scott, I -"

"Yes, you!" I said, grabbing onto her wrist with my left hand and opening the security bar with my right. "I know the whole story, so you can save it. You are leaving me! But a little sooner than you thought, Zel! Tell me, were you expecting this?"

"Dear God!" I cried loudly, re-latching the bar. "Zelda!"


© Copyright 2019 Tamer (tamer75 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2185018-310-Entry-Daily-Flash-Fiction