*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2185479-The-Best-thing
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2185479
A man and his son find what's best. Flash fiction using tired, door, tree
"Get the best deals from the best dealer in the best little town in Ohio! - Jason Best Chevrolet".

"How can that be the "best" that we could come up with after three hours of working on a new marketing slogan", Jason thought as he sat at a light on his way home. Of course, nothing was even "good", let alone "best" the last five months. Things had been great four years ago, when he and Emma had moved here with their seven year old son, Jimmy. In fact, things were perfect. Then a year ago, Emma started feeling tired all the time and soon after that, the pain and nausea started. The cancer finally took her five months ago.

When he arrived home, Janice Olson, who watched Jimmy for him after school, met him at the door. "I'm worried about Jimmy," she said. "He doesn't play with his friends or even go to his tree house any more, and you know how much he loved that tree house!"

"OK," he replied, "I'll take care of it."

After she left, Jason was about to find a movie to watch when he suddenly realized that he wasn't "taking care of" anything. He had been so wrapped up in his own grief and trying to ignore the pain by working late nearly every night, that he had forgotten that Jimmy was hurting too. Jimmy needed him and he needed Jimmy!

Jason bolted up the stairs calling out, "Jimmy, I'm so sorry I haven't been there much for you lately, but that's going to change starting right now. How about if we order some pizza and spend the night in the tree house?"

"Wow, really Dad? That'd be great!" Jimmy said.

That was the "best" thing Jason had heard in a long time!

© Copyright 2019 BlueJay (bluejay at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2185479-The-Best-thing