*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2185747-The-abduction
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by kat
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Drama · #2185747
created for the writers cramp
It was on the tip of my tongue. I knew that if I could just say it everything would be alright. I had seen the silver pickup truck pull up to the curb, I had seen the man in the mask take her as she struggled to escape. I was frozen in fear, my mind went blank and I stopped breathing for a split second before my body reminded me that I needed oxygen. My heart thumped in my chest as my body came back to life with the squealing of the tires as the van sped away. My feet flew to the nearest store, my shoes hit the pavement with such speed and force that I could feel the vibrations of each step as I ran. As I burst through the door to the Mini Mart on the corner the bell dinged loudly.

“Call 911!” I had shouted to the clerk as I struggled to catch my breath. “Call 911!”

The clerk dialed the number with shaky hands and handed me the phone as I stood with my hands on my knees breathing deep and fast.

“911 what is your emergency?” the voice on the other end had said.

“A girl was just taken in a silver truck”
“Maam was this girl taken against her will?”

“Yes,” I replied, “she was screaming and struggling. I didn’t know what to do.”

“You are doing exactly what you should be doing, let me get officers on the way. I see by my caller ID that you are at the Mini Mart on Broadway, is that correct?”

“Yes,” I said quickly. My lungs were still burning with every ragged breath I took.

“Alright officers are on the way. What type of vehicle was it?”

“It was a silver truck, two doors and tinted windows,” I said, proud that I had a description.

“Do you know the make and model?” My heart sank as she said it.

“No” I said with disappointment.

“It’s ok,” she responded, “how about a plate number or part of one?”

Again, I froze, as I thought back to that moment when I was frozen on the street. In my mind I could see the truck with the tinted windows, the sun was bright and had reflected off of the shiny silver paint, I was behind the truck and the rear plate was facing me. I tried very hard to recall I could almost see the letters and numbers but I could not spit it out.

“Maam are you there?” the voice on the phone said into the silence.

“Yes, I said I am trying to remember.” I said with trepidation.

“It’s alright the officers are there. I am going to let you go so they can take over.”
“Ok I said” as the police officer came through the door.

“Miss, are you the one who witnessed the abduction?”
“Yes,” I responded with a shaky voice.
“I need you to tell me what you saw.”
I stood thinking for a few minutes. What had I been going to do when I saw it?

“I was on my way to the library on Ferris street. As I came around the lilac bush, I was admiring the blooms and breathing in the smell of the flowers when I heard screaming. I looked up from the blossom I was smelling to see a girl with dark hair kicking and screaming. There was a man in a ski mask holding her as she flailed and screamed. He pulled her into the back seat of the silver truck and it sped away. I just froze right there by the lilac bush. I don’t think they saw me.”
“Well that’s good, they might have hurt you,” the officer said. “What color was the truck?”

“It was silver and extra shiny like it had just been washed or was brand new. The windows were tinted dark and I couldn’t see anyone inside but there must have been a driver too.”

“Yes, maybe more.”
Do you know what kind of truck it was? Did it have any bumper sticker or decals?”
At that I remembered that it had an animal on the tailgate.

“It had an animal on the tailgate, you know the one with the horns that curl? But no, it did not have any bumper stickers or decals”

“How about a plate number? Do you remember what it was?” As he looked at me, I searched my memory for the image that I could almost see. I could not recall I could just see a blurry image in my mind.

“It was a local plate I’m pretty sure. I can’t remember numbers but I think it had an A in it.”

“Ok thank you, if you remember anything else please give me a call,” he said as he handed me his card. I could hear his radio saying “suspect has been spotted at....” as he walked away.

I stood there wishing I could recall the plate number. I had been frozen in fear but I knew I had seen it. When the officer was there, I could almost see it in my mind. Now that he was gone it still seemed to be right on the tip of my tongue.
© Copyright 2019 kat (katsbooks72 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2185747-The-abduction