*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2186677-Original-Sin
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Horror/Scary · #2186677
Seth pinched himself to make sure he wasn’t dreaming. A WDC Short Shots Entry
Original Sin

Seth pushed aside the vines hanging from the trees that towered above him. The musky smell of the jungle assaulted his nose as he peered into a large clearing. That’s odd, he thought, as he wondered why nothing seemed to grow there except a single large tree. As he watched, the tree seemed to move and he realized that its trunk wasn’t a trunk at all; it was a serpent. The movement stopped and the creature’s head seemed to appear, staring intently at him. He found himself moving forward. This is wrong, he thought. With each step, the feeling of impending doom grew and yet, he felt powerless to stop himself…

Seth sat up gasping, fighting free of the cloying blankets wrapped around him. “It was just a dream,” he said aloud. Shaking his head, he stared out the window at the Chicago cityscape. Snowflakes danced in the air, turning the skyline into a grey smudge. I really need to get out of here. Hell, I really need to get better dreams!

He rolled out of bed and padded barefoot into the kitchen. Pouring himself a cup of coffee, he saw the pile of yesterday’s mail he had tossed on the counter. Absentmindedly, he started looking through it. A flash of bright color caught his attention. He fished the postcard out, captivated by the tropical scene of a boat sailing into a beautiful cove. “Now that’s what I’m talking about,” he muttered.

He flipped the card over but was surprised to find it blank except for his name and address. What sort of advertising doesn’t even give you a name? “Ouch,” he blurted, as a small cut appeared on his finger. “A paper cut? Yeah, that’s how my life seems to be going.” He grabbed a napkin to staunch the blood, wiped at his finger, and was surprised to find he couldn’t locate the cut. Picking up the card, he couldn’t find any blood on it either. “Great. Now my weird dreams are happening when I’m awake.”

His musings were interrupted by a knock at the door. As he peered through the peephole, he was surprised to see the familiar brown of a UPS carrier. “Delivery for a Mr. Seth Miller.” Opening the door, he signed and took the package.

Opening it, he quickly scanned the letter. “CONGRATULATIONS! YOU HAVE BEEN CHOSEN TO RECEIVE AN ALL EXPENSE PAID TWO-WEEK VACATION TO THE GARDEN RESORT. Please contact us at your convenience to finalize the details.”

“Okay, this has got to be some kind of scam…” he muttered as he picked up the phone and dialed the number. It was answered immediately.

“Mr. Miller. We’ve been expecting your call…”

~~~ ~~~ ~~~


Seth Miller exited the airplane into the bright sunshine. He smiled as a warm breeze ruffled his hair.

It had only been two weeks since the letter had appeared. He had almost thrown it away, thinking it was just another advertisement but something seemed different about it. Glad I opened it. Glad I followed up on it!

Entering the terminal, he saw a sign bearing his name being held by an attractive young woman. “I’m Miller.”

“Mr. Miller! I’m Savannah. If you’ll give the porter your claim tickets, he will retrieve your suitcases and meet us at the limousine.”

Limousine? “Do you treat all guests this well?”

“You’re a special guest of the owner. She’s looking forward to seeing you this evening at dinner.”

“She?”

Savannah smiled. “Let’s get you to the resort so that you’ll have time to refresh. Dinner will be at 7:00 p.m.”

The resort was a blueprint of his secret fantasy. Savannah escorted him to a suite that overlooked the ocean. He immediately identified that the cove was the same as the postcard he had seen in his kitchen. This is too strange.

“If there’s anything you need … or want,” she said pointedly causing him to blush slightly, “just ask.”

“N-n-no,” he stuttered, momentarily tongue-tied.

After the door closed, Seth pinched himself to make sure he wasn’t dreaming. He walked out on the balcony inhaling the salty air and surveying the landscape. “This is paradise! Perfection …” His voice trailed. He noticed an area surrounded by a foreboding fence. He couldn’t see what was behind it, other than the top of a large tree. Curious.

“Mr. Miller? I’ve come to escort you to dinner,” Savannah’s announced at 6:55.

“So, I finally get to meet my mysterious benefactress,” he said lightheartedly.

Her response was only a smile. She led him to the central building and through doors marked Private. “The mistress will join you momentarily. Please, make yourself comfortable.”

There were several pictures around the room. He glanced at one and froze. “What the hell?” he blurted.

Soft laughter filled the room. “Recognize it?” a musical voice said.

Seth swung around. “Becky?”

“So, you remember?”

Seth was dumbfounded. Rebekkah Adams had been his first love. Images of her flashed across his mind. They had been engaged when a tragedy had happened in her family. She had to return home and he had a world to conquer. After she left, he’d never heard from her again. Now, she stood before him looking as beautiful as the day she had left all those years ago.

“Becky?” he repeated dumbly.

“Yes, Seth. It’s really me.” She approached him and took his hands. “It’s been a long time.”

“You just vanished,” he finally blurted out.

“Well,” she laughed. “You’ve found me.”

Seth looked around. “This is yours?”

“Yes,” she said, an unexpected note of sadness in her voice. “This is where my family has always lived. When mother died, I had to return. Come, walk with me in the garden and I’ll explain.” They went out into the fenced area. “For as far back as anyone remembers, our family has been a matriarchy. All things are passed down through the women. Once we reach a certain age, we are … expected to stay here.”

“Haven’t you heard? This is 2019. Women have choices today,” he laughed.

“Some do, some don’t. Come, sit with me,” she said, indicating a bench under the tree. “My family traces its roots – literally – back to creation itself.”

He looked at her incredulously. “Now you’re just pulling my leg.” He saw a tear begin rolling down her cheek.

“I wish I was. Do you remember the story of Adam and Eve? It was Adam’s love that fed the tree and formed the apple. The apple did more than give Eve knowledge. It gave her life apart from Adam.”

Seth looked confused. “What’s that got to do ...” His voice trailed off as he became aware of the tree. It seemed to be growing or at least leafing out before his eyes. It was the tree of his nightmare. “What the hell?” He started to get up but found that something was holding him. Glancing down, he saw roots wrapped around his feet, his legs, and they were moving!

Becky stood. “I’m sorry Seth. I’ve delayed this moment for as long as I can but I need your love now.”

Seth tried to scream but only a gurgle came out as the tree invaded his body, the roots stabbing through his stomach, chest, and the back of his neck as the blood was drained from him.

A single blossom had opened on a branch, framed against the night sky. As Becky watched, an apple formed. She plucked it, biting into it and feeling the energy and life force that Seth’s love had given it. She could feel a new life begin to grow within her and knew that the chain would remain unbroken.


Divider line



An entry for "Short Shots: Official WDC Contest
Prompt: Image *Up*
Word Limit: 2000
Word Count: 1316
© Copyright 2019 🌕 HuntersMoon (huntersmoon at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2186677-Original-Sin