*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2187496-Beating-the-System-2
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Short Story · Comedy · #2187496
Gifts for everyone
Beating the System #2
Gifts for everyone.

A blue mail box door is opened and a hand grabs the mail. Humming a song, a Paul walks back up the walkway to the front door and opens it

Inside the house
Paul puts some water in the water bottle of a bird cage that contains a parrot. “here you go Pete.'
In the living room Paul sits on the couch and starts sorting the mail when suddenly the phone rings.
Paul picks up the phone ‘HI Betty.'
'Yes I just got it I’m opening it now. It couldn't be that much more for trash pickup.' .
Paul opens the envelopes while listening. When suddenly ‘What the? Let me call you back I'll check into this.'
Paul goes over to the light and looks closer at the letter he just opened.
'This is insane! .
Pete the parrots repeats ‘This is insane’.
10 minutes late of Paul waiting on hold.
'Please stay on the line An operator will be with you shortly. Suddenly 'Trash services this is Amy how can I help you?'
'I’m looking at my current trash bill and it says I’m being charged an extra 60 dollars for each bin after 1 is that correct?'
You've read correctly. ‘Replied Amy " It went into effect last month, Is there anything else I can help you with?'
Suddenly the parrot started 'Where’s my drink Where’s my drink?' Paul looks at the bird Puts his finger up SHHHH
'
'Thanks very much' finished Paul as he hung up the phone.
‘This is insane ‘Parroted Pete.
Paul looked over at the bird. ‘It sure is Pete. It sure is’.

Paul grabs his keys and walks out his front door. Decides to walk around the block.
He notices someone looking through someone's trash taking an interest in a box just recently used for a gift.
Arriving back at his house, Paul lays down on the couch and falls asleep. In the dream He hears the parrot 'they took it way they took it away.'

He dreamed of People stealing presents. Upon awaking He got on the phone with a store that was on his smartphone ' Hi do you still gift wrap? 'You still do? great. How much do you charge?'
'no kidding.' Thanks', 'well talk soon.'

1 week later
Paul's phone rings

'Hi I’m calling about the ad in the paper for trash pick-up.'
'just need your address 'replied Paul 'and ill pick it up only 35 dollars per binful.'

2 weeks later
Paul’s garage is set up with boxes, Wrapping paper and tape on 1 side, and bins full of garbage on the other.

late that night
'3 hours of cramming garbage into these gifts. ‘Said Betty
'Where do we drop these off at?'
'You'll see ‘replied Paul ‘It’s the perfect solution to this problem.
Paul’s van is full of presents. He pulls over by a discount store and takes out 4 presents and leaves them at a bus stop.
20 minutes later they pull up to a park bench and unload another 4 presents.
after 2 hours of dropping off presents they started home. ‘Well!’ exclaimed Betty” this sure is something new.’
Paul smiles at Betty 'All in a day’s work my dear.'

End
© Copyright 2019 New Leaf (newleaf at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2187496-Beating-the-System-2