*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2187840-Saga-Wyrm-Whisperer-and-DD
Rated: E · Poetry · Contest Entry · #2187840
A brave knight and adventurous nighttime stories. (page 1....the rest is up to the reader)
"Saga: Wyrm Whisperer and D.D."



Bright bold hues
brushed on each page.
Flames, splayed wings, piercing red eyes;
if you peer closer at the beast,
you will likely spy a sly grin.


                                                 Page one....

Knowing it was not a nightmare,
Marilyn was awakened by sounds;
scratching, fluttering, hissing,
coming from inside her bedside bureau.

Pajama dressed, wee Marilyn,
a proud self-proclaimed descendant
of the Arthurian era,
formed a thought bubble filled with giggles.
As a brave knight, fully aware she must live up
to her modern day Renaissance reputation,
she released the demanding "Drawer Dragon".

Quietly...carefully...slowly...
the dresser drawer pulled forward.
Wings calmed, wild eyes winked sleepily,
flames ceased to a sizzling sigh.
D.D., teasingly hailed, was relieved to see
his young friend, Marilyn, also known as
Wyrm Whisperer.


                                                 Turn the page......


To be continued. Reader, use your imagination as you turn the page and write your (continued) version of this story.



LC: 25
Free verse
........................................................................................................................................................................

Mary Ann Brinkley wrote her version of page 2:

With wings stretched,
a quick flap to the window ledge
gave D.D. a vivid view of fields with mountains beyond.
So inviting!

No one understands him better than Marilyn.
He's itching for adventure
and she knows what dangers await her dragon friend
in the world outside.
They will just have to face them together.

...................................................................................................................................................................

Connie Brock wrote her version of page 2.

"Come, sweet thing,"she cooed."Are you ready for an adventure? Where shall we go tonight?"

D.D. looked at Marilyn and thought again how lucky he was that the Wyrm Whisperer had found his egg.
After his mother was slain defending her cave, he had shivered in silence, missing her warmth, afraid to break out of his shell. And then, Marilyn had appeared and scooped him up, sliding the beautiful egg carefully into her pocket, where it was warm and dark, and protected.

When they had reached her castle, Marilyn climbed the back stairs in secret, going directly to her room on the top floor. There she pulled out the egg and whispered, again and again, "Come to me, come to me. Safe and happy we will always be."

What was the magic? The warmth of her breath? The gentleness of her hands as she rocked the egg? The promise in her words? D.D. didn't know...but something made him want to get out. He remembered when he had begun pecking at his shell...slowly, at first, and then in a fury. Out, out, he had to get out. And then...

..................................................................................................................................................................














© Copyright 2019 turtlemoon-dohi (susanjwelker at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2187840-Saga-Wyrm-Whisperer-and-DD