*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2187942-Tell-Me-Again
Rated: E · Fiction · Mystery · #2187942
Melvin tries to explain himself.
Tell Me Again


Sheriff McLean leaned against the doorway with on hand on his hip and the other poised over his mouth. He raised an eyebrow when he saw that Melvin Bennett hands were dripping blood.

"Sheriff, it's the truth. I swear," Melvin pleaded. An uncomfortable silence set in then Melvin turned for the kitchen.

"Where are you going? 'm not done with you yet."

"Are you serious? You want me to stand here with blood on my hands?"

"Why not? Looks like you didn't care when you opened the door."

Melvin huffed.

Sheriff McLean had encountered Melvin in the past and didn't trust him one lick. "So, Melvin. Tell me again what happened."

"I just told you the same story three times."

"So what? Tell me again." Melvin mumbled something beneath his breath. "What was that?"

"Nothing. Look. This is what happened. I heard a noise coming from the garage."

"What was it?"

"I don't know. How could I. I was in the house."

"Go ahead."

"I went to the garage and opened it. We have raccoons running around the neighborhood and maybe one of them knocked over something. My shovel was up against the wall, but now it was on the floor. I thought one may have jumped inside my boat, so I climbed in to check. When I didn't see anything, I ran my hands in all the hidden areas beneath the seats. That's when the little bastard sunk his teeth into my hand. I pulled it out and he was still attached with both teeth and claws. I swung my arm as hard as I could and he flew off. I took the shovel and beat his brains in."

The sheriff stared, then asked, "So where's your wife? She's the one that called me here?"

© Copyright 2019 Pernell Rogers (arogers270 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2187942-Tell-Me-Again