*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2188976-More-Than-You-Can-Handle
Rated: ASR · Assignment · Religious · #2188976
Examining an old adage.
God will never give you more than you can handle.

This old bit of wisdom may seem like truth. Many people even believe that this is written in the Bible. Not only that, but it’s a dangerous belief. Let’s examine what the good book has to say on this topic.

The idea comes from 1 Corinthians 10:13, which says: “No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to humanity. God is faithful, and He will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation, He will also provide a way of escape so that you are able to bear it.”

The Bible is clear that we won’t be tempted more than we can handle, and there will always be a means of escape. However, temptation and hardship are not the same things. In fact, Paul, the author of the letters to the Corinthians was referring primarily to temptation regarding sexual sin.

Paul is a good example of this because, in several of his writings, he outlines times when he was given more hardships than he could handle. Paul suffered shipwrecks, beatings, being imprisoned and stoned. He boasts about these things in his letter to the Corinthians, because of his strong faith.

If we look at the book of Job, we see that God did allow hardship to befall this loyal servant. Job endured the loss of his children, his wealth, and his servants, broke out in painful boils, and his wife and friends blamed him for everything.

Poor Job suffered more than he could handle. In the story, Satan is convinced that Job will curse God, but through it all, he does not. In the end, God blessed Job with more children, riches, and long life.

The point is, that God does give us more than we can handle so that we will rely on Him to get through it. Those times of hardship make us stronger, hopefully, more humble, and draw us closer to our creator.

~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~

334 Words
© Copyright 2019 IceSkatingSugarCube (jwhitedesigns at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2188976-More-Than-You-Can-Handle