*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2190314-Popular
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Essay · Community · #2190314
Essay about popular ideas that are not right.
Trent S.
Community Writing
Comp 1
It's Adam & Eve, Not Adam & Steve

    In the bible, the book of Genesis is where the topic of marriage is first brought up. Genesis 2:24 states, "Therefore a man shall leave his father and his mother and hold fast to his wife, and they shall become flesh." Again, in Ephesians 5:25, "For husbands this means love your wives, just as Christ loved the church. He gave up his life for her." The bible speaks of marriage as a man and a woman uniting as one and becoming one flesh. It also speaks of marriage to last a lifetime and uses the comparison of how Christ loved the church, to how much a man should also love his wife. Our society today understands the word marriage to be very different than how it was understood in Jesus' time and even during the last century. Gay marriage is an example of how our society has changed its understanding of marriage, and is also an example of the phrase "just because it is popular, does not mean it is right."
    There are many different definitions for the word marriage, an old one being, "an intimate and complementing union between a man and a woman in which the two become one physically, in the whole life" and in our new society, "the legally or formally recognized union of two people as partners in a personal relationship (historically and in some jurisdictions specifically a union between a man and a women.)" The definition was revised after the Supreme Court ruled that it was unconstitutional for state-level bans on same-sex marriage in the case of Obergefell v. Hodges on June 26, 2015. The first gay/lesbian organizations started in the 50s and grew consistently over the next half of a century. The push by these groups and the support by non-homosexual people using the motto "love is love" gave them the strength to pass the law that allowed same-sex marriage.
    What is the purpose of marriage? In the very beginning, God created Eve for Adam so he would no longer be lonely. He also did this for Adam and Eve to multiply, creating the world's population. They were united in marriage by God and because of this, it was also okay for them to have sexual relations with each other. By knowing this, it gives reason for a man and a woman to be united in marriage. So why would a man want to marry another man? Or a woman to marry another woman? What purpose does that serve? In Genesis 1:27-28 it states, "So God created human beings in his own image. In the image of God, he created them; male and female. Then God blessed them and said, "Be fruitful and multiply. Fill the earth and govern it. Reign over the fish in the sea, the birds in the sky, and all the animals that scurry along the ground." God made males and females for each other, for when they marry and become one, they should also come together as one and have children. But a man who marries another man can have no children because only a woman can bear a child. And a woman who marries another woman can also have no children because she cannot bear a child unless a man impregnates her. The bible not only states that a man and woman are made for each other but also that homosexuality is against God's commands. In Jude 1:5-8 it says, "Though you already know this, I want to remind you that the Lord at one time delivered all his people out of Egypt, but later destroyed those who did not believe. And the angels who did not keep their positions of authority but abandoned their proper dwelling--these he has kept in darkness, bound with everlasting chains for judgement on the great Day. In a similar way, Sodom and Gomorrah and the surrounding towns gave themselves up to sexual immorality and perversion. They serve as an example of those who suffer the punishment of eternal fire. In the very same way, on the strength of their dreams these ungodly people pollute their own bodies, reject authority, and heap abuse on celestial beings." Why would anyone want to go against God's clearly stated will and inherit eternal fire?
    Homosexuality is quite common in today's society and will only become more common with the generations to come. This is because there are homosexual couples who are adopting and raising children together. Yet, how will this affect the child's upbringing and home life? Will the children not be confused when they have two mommies or two daddies? Or when the other kids in their class have just one mom and one dad? What does a daughter do when there is a father-daughter dance and she only has two moms? Will they think that it is only okay for them to like or have interest in a person who is the same sex as them? Will they feel uncomfortable bringing home someone of the opposite gender to meet their two moms or two dads? These children have no hope. They will grow up and homosexuality is the only thing that they will know. They will be so used to it that it will not even cross their mind that it is wrong. They may still believe in God, go to church, and be Christians but will they not be confused when they come across verses that strictly go against homosexuality and wonder what is truly right if their parents are homosexual?
1 Corinthians 6:9-10 states, "Don't you realize that those who do wrong will not inherit the Kingdom of God? Don't fool yourself. Those who indulge in sexual sin, or who worship idols, or commit adultery, or are male prostitutes or practice homosexuality, or are thieves, or greedy people, or drunkards, or are abusive, or cheat people--none of these will inherit the Kingdom of God." Homosexuality is growing in not only the United States but also the entire world. Yet, just because it is popular, does not mean it is right. You know the old saying, "It's Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve."



© Copyright 2019 TrentSk (trentskj at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2190314-Popular