*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2192383-Unbelievable
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2192383
The latest news brought to you by the town gossip. Flash fiction contest entry. (Winner)
"Of course you know, Henry, I'm not one to gossip, but who does that Janice Henly think she is dressing like that and walking down Main street like she doesn't have a care in the world! I'm telling you, Henry, some people should just be ashamed of themselves."

"Uh huh."

"Well I'll tell you, Henry, she'd better be more careful! You never know who's out there looking. As a matter of fact, I'd been watching her for about ten minutes, just to make sure nothing bad happened to her you understand, when old Mr. Atkins from over on Maple Avenue walked out of Anderson's Market and started walking right there between Janice and me. Of course I couldn't see his eyes, him being in front of me and all, but you can be sure he was looking her over real good. I never did trust that man!"

"Uh huh"

"Well, you know I was supposed to be going to meet Carol at the Senior Center, but I had to keep an eye on that dirty old man. The nerve of him walking behind her like that! Well, I followed close behind for a while and he kept glancing back at me. It was plenty obvious to me that he knew that I knew what he was doing. And then, you'll never believe what happened next."

"Probably not."

"Well, he got to the corner of Maple and turned left! He knows that I know he lives down that way. He wanted me to think he was going home so I'd stop watching him so he could double back to get another good look."

"You're right. I don't believe it."

"I know, right? What's the world coming to when you can't walk down the street without someone staring at you?"

"Uh huh."

© Copyright 2019 BlueJay (bluejay at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2192383-Unbelievable