*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2193143-Late-One-Night-edit
Rated: ASR · Draft · Fanfiction · #2193143
A fragment from Late One Night
The darkest part of the night soothed Astrid. She’d sit outside her hut and drink in the calm. During the day, she was busy. Living on Dragon’s Edge was a responsibility, and Astrid took the duties there seriously. She honed her battle skills, practiced maneuvers with Stormfly, and did her share of hunting and fishing. She supported Hiccup as he led, and was willing to fight for him and all her team: Fishlegs, Ruffnut, Tuffnut, and Snotlout. But the deep night was hers alone. When she needed to think or to relax, she turned to the stillness. No one, barring her dragon Stormfly, knew she did this; not even her betrothed Hiccup was aware of it.

After another busy day at Dragon’s Edge, Astrid bedded down early. Her weariness wasn’t simply physical; she needed time alone tonight. The others never realized this, but she trained herself to wake up after a few hours to find solace in the darkest part of the night. The solitude quieted her spirit and rejuvenated her strength. Uninterrupted time was rare and she cultivated it for her peace of mind. Tonight, she was thinking about Hiccup.

There’s something about the darkest part of the night that soothed Astrid. Since Hiccup led the six of them to Dragon’s Edge, she developed a habit of waking partway through the night to leave her hut and drink in the calm. During the day, she was always busy. Living on Dragon’s Edge was a responsibility, and Astrid took the duties there seriously. She honed her battle skills, practiced maneuvers with her dragon Stormfly, and did her share of hunting and fishing. She supported Hiccup as he led, and was willing to fight for all her team: Hiccup, Fishlegs, Ruffnut, Tuffnut, and Snotlout. But the deep night was hers alone. No one—not even the twins—was awake then. When she needed to think or to relax, she turned to the stillness. No one, barring Stormfly, knew she did this; not even her betrothed Hiccup was aware of it.

Tonight, she was thinking about Hiccup.
© Copyright 2019 Whiskerfacebythefireplace (whiskerface at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2193143-Late-One-Night-edit