*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2193751-Paranoia
Rated: E · Poetry · Psychology · #2193751
Poem describing how paranoia feels
Paranoia

Street windows watch you
As you hurry by
And destinations speak
Of streets and windows

Your striding image
Remains in strangers’ eyes
You sensed
But could not see

Only your frantic haste and fear
Are captured by the road
Your journey hides in corners
Of the rest rooms and motels

Line Count: 12


I lost all my poetry in my move to the States in 2004. Occasionally part of a poem or a complete poem will recall itself to me, usually for no discernible reason. The lines above came rushing back on reading Writing.com Support's latest Newsletter (June 19 2019) about People Watching. I have the feeling that there were lines in between the two verses recalled but, if so, they have gone forever. Probably weren't worth remembering in that case (I was very young). The poem dates from about 1970.

PS. Since writing this note, I've had two more lines return to me. I have inserted them in their place in the middle of the poem. Fairly sure there was more, particularly as another two lines added to the two inserted would bring it neatly to four.

PPS. Five seconds later and the remaining lines return. I've added them and can maintain the thing is complete. Oh, and the original title was "Of Journeys". I don't feel the need to be obscure now I'm (much) older, so I'll stick with the "Paranoia" title. That's what it's really about, after all.
© Copyright 2019 Beholden (beholden at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2193751-Paranoia