*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2194455-This-is-VIrtue
Rated: 13+ · Article · Emotional · #2194455
something I wrote for the This is Virtue Challenge
I am taking a few liberties here with something I read once and rewriting it to fit what is happening in our world today.

***


“First they came for the socialists, and I did not speak out—because I was not a socialist.
Then they came for the trade unionists, and I did not speak out— because I was not a trade unionist.
Then they came for the Jews, and I did not speak out—because I was not a Jew.
Then they came for me—and there was no one left to speak for me.” Martin Niemöller


***



First they came for the Muslims, and I did not speak out—because I was not a Muslim.

Then they came for the illegals, and I did not speak out— because I was not an illegal.

Then they came for the Dreamers and anchor babies, and I did not speak out— because I was not either.

I didn't even see it coming when they turned on me and took all my rights away starting with my reproductive rights and moving on to who I could love and whether or not I as a woman belonged to any particular man.

If we do not stand up for the other then who do we stand up for? Who stands up for us when there is no one left but us?

Do the words written on the statue of liberty mean anything anymore? Or are we all so full of fear that the “Land of the Free and the Home of the Brave” is now full of cowards willing to hand it all away in the name of “being safe”.

I want my home back. I want a place where people weren't afraid of children trying to cross a river with their parents. I want a place where I can believe we don't put children in cages. I want the world I was promised we were striving toward not the backward musings of old men.
It is time for a change. It is time to reclaim “Make America Great Again.” We do it by getting rid of these horrible people who would use outdated laws and blame others for their actions. “If only the laws that let me do this didn't exist”

As my late father used to say, “Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.” It is past time we stand up and remind the world of who we are, a sometimes misguided but always self correcting people. It is past time we rise up to put the Nazi's and skin heads back where they belong; in the past where we thought we had left them.

What is virtue? It is this...“Give us your huddled masses yearning to be free.” Plaque on the Statue of Liberty

I would like to challenge anyone who reads this to take the #thisisvirtue Challenge. What does American Virtue look like to you?

https://youtu.be/YNVRfIRRUD0
https://youtu.be/1Yf8P5APf5g


© Copyright 2019 Ember_Rain (ember.rain at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2194455-This-is-VIrtue