*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2194572-Ive-forgotten-something
by Sumojo
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2194572
Jane forgets something important
The house was clean, the kitchen bench gleamed as the sun shone its light on the granite surface. Jane sighed, she’d been awake since five that morning, exhausted as she was she knew it wasn’t worth while going back to bed.
Jane was on maternity leave from her high powered job as a lawyer in the city.
At work her staff always made sure her morning coffee was on time, and that no file ever went missing. Having enforced leave was driving Jane crazy.
“You’ll be able to relax now love, just enjoy only having our baby to care for,” her husband John had told her on her last day at work.
“I don’t know how I’ll stand it John, really I don’t. How hard can it be to care for a single baby?”
“I know sweetheart, but maybe it’ll do you good to just stop for a while.”

Jane looked around the pristine kitchen and decided she would cook a nice meal for John when he arrived home after work. She took down her recipe books and worked out a complicated menu and set out for the shops.
She arrived back from the stores, and opened her pantry. Every thing was immaculate, containers labelled and in alphabetical order. She smiled at the sight of all her Tupperware stacked neatly, and felt once more a sense of superiority and pride for her organisational skills.
Jane stood staring into the pantry. “I know I’ve forgotten something,” she said out loud, “ now what could it be?” She checked her shopping list. “No, I got everything.” She shrugged and started making the meal.
Suddenly her face drained of colour, her heart raced and she grabbed the car keys and sped back to the shopping centre to pick up her baby.
© Copyright 2019 Sumojo (sumojo at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2194572-Ive-forgotten-something