*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2194722-The-Rescue
Rated: E · Short Story · Contest Entry · #2194722
Daily Flash Fiction Contest Entry
When Emily first saw the dog on the bus ride to school, she knew she would rescue it. White fur with black spots stretched over pronounced ribs, spine and pointy hip bones. The dalmatian lay on only leaves with no shelter in the Bowen’s yard next to the hill. A heavy chain hung from its blue collar and was staked in the ground. She couldn’t see a food bowl anywhere either.

The following Saturday morning, Emily sat crossed legged on her bed, a book in her hand, when she heard her mother yell for her.

“Grandma called and said the Bowen’s dog is loose and wonderin’ around her yard,” said Emily’s mother. “Must have slipped outta its collar.”

After some begging and pleading, Emily convinced her mother to leave the dirty dishes in the sink and walk with her down the hollow to Grandma’s. She skipped most of the way, tingling with anticipation, only stopping to pick up a smooth, shiny stone or two for her collection.

The dog looked up from furiously sniffing the grass for food when the pair approached the yard. Emily called to the dog, who wagged her way to her with exuberance despite her malnourished state.

“Grandma, ya got any scraps to feed her?” she asked.

“Already threw her some biscuits,” said grandma, who was resting her arms on the porch railing.

“What are we going to do with her?” asked her mother. “We can’t give her back to the Bowens. They’d probably accuse us of stealing her and shoot us.”

“We are,” said Emily.

“Are what?”

“Going to steal her.” Emily squatted in the wet grass, fresh from rain and let the dalmatian lick her face. When she looked up to the sky, she saw a vibrant, double rainbow. “I’m taking her home.”
© Copyright 2019 Little Birdie (latack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2194722-The-Rescue