*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2194740-Bens-adventure
by Sumojo
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2194740
Ben goes up to the tropics on an adventure
Word count 289

“Do you know what you’re getting into?” Ben’s father, John, asked.
“All I know is that I’m sick of doing the apprenticeship, sick of being a dog’s body for crap money,” Ben replied, “If I have to be a dog’s body, I may as well have an adventure up North and earn some decent money.
“It sounds dangerous love,” his mother cautioned, “this Macca character, what do you know about him?”
“Mum, stop worrying, he has a legit business.”
“I’m sure he has Ben, but those fishing tours he runs are in crocodile-infested waters, I didn’t raise you to have you end up as crocodile shit!” John shouted.
“Calm down, John,” his wife said, “It sounds as if Ben has his mind made up.”


Ben made his way down to the river, sweat poured down his face as he swatted away the bush flies, who were intent on sucking the moisture from his eyes. The sun had disappeared behind a thick cloud cover; but the humidity continued to rise. Ben had soon realised he hadn’t known what he was getting himself into. One daily task he did for Macca, was to collect bait fish for the many tourists who came up to this remote part of Australia. Huge Barramundi swam in this river and were there for the taking.
Stepping into the water, he cast the throw net, then lit a cigarette while he waited. He stood alone, absorbing the silence, looking around at the mangroves, which hid the biggest mud crabs he’d ever seen. A sudden glimpse of sunlight caught the fluorescent wings of hundreds of dragon flies flitting over the water and multi-coloured parrots swarmed in the trees.
The ancient crocodile was waiting in the mud at the bottom of the river. Just waiting.
© Copyright 2019 Sumojo (sumojo at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2194740-Bens-adventure