*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2194832-Enlightenment
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2194832
Flash Fiction
Enlightenment

“I think it’s working!” Andy said, enthusiastically.

Piper smiled. Andy always thought one of his harebrained schemes was ‘working,’ right up until it didn’t. They used to live with a bunch of others and he drove everyone crazy with his ideas. Piper always let him talk though, even then. Beyond his crazy ideas, he was a good friend.

Over time, as others came and went, they began to hang together more and more. And then one day life changed, and they suddenly found themselves alone, together, in this strange new place. They didn’t seem to be in danger, there was food and water... they just couldn’t seem to get away.

Andy immediately started planning an escape. Piper listened because there was nothing better to do, she didn’t really care if they stayed here forever, but if it made Andy happy to make plans... Some ideas they tried, others he saw flaws early on and he’d come up with another idea as soon as they discarded the flawed one. All and all, if she had to be stuck with someone, Andy was perfect. Andy was a really fun friend.

Jogging her attention back, Andy was commenting on the fact that it was getting light. “This may be the key to the light source!” he said, “Once we get free, we’ll finally be able to see where we are!” Then suddenly, he realized that Piper always had his back, and always had. He asked softly, “There’s room... do you want to get on, and help me?”

And that’s when Piper realized that she was in love with Andy! How had she not noticed for so long? Suddenly feeling ecstatically happy, she jumped on the wheel with him, and the two hamsters ran together until they fell off, laughing in exhaustion.
© Copyright 2019 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2194832-Enlightenment