*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2195630-Fleur-De-Lis
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by L.Bova
Rated: E · Article · Environment · #2195630
The symbol of New Orleans
As another storm hits the coast of Louisiana, I am reminded of Hurricane Katrina. There are many stories about this, I was there but evacuated before the storm hit. I was one of the lucky ones , many people lost their lives not just their homes. the biggest news was that no federal aid came to New Orleans until 3 days after the storm. By then, many people had perished and the National Guard was sent to rescue the dogs. I even heard the people in hospitals and nursing homes had died because there was no power. The Mayor of New Orleans was on the radio begging the federal government to help. The National guard had the unsavory job of checking all the houses for dead people. They would mark each house checked with a 0 or a number indicating how many dead they had found. The devastation was terrible and there were some congressmen who didn't want to send aid because New Orleans is below sea level.
they had no idea that New Orleans is a major port and that's where all the ships come in to deliver goods to the rest of the country.
When I returned, the city was unrecognizable. All the street signs were gone making it hard to get around. My home was gone, my job was gone and it had gotten very expensive to live there. I tried for 2 years to stay in New Orleans because I love it so much. As far as I am concerned, it is the most cultural city in the US. " Do you know what it means, to miss New Orleans?"
© Copyright 2019 L.Bova (littlelulu22 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2195630-Fleur-De-Lis