*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2196402-The-Narrative
by Paul
Rated: E · Short Story · Contest Entry · #2196402
He has a problem with old habits.
“Hello, Hillary, please don’t hang up. Just listen for 2 minutes. That’s all I’m asking for. 2 minutes. Please?”

“Okay, David, 2 minutes starting ... now!”

“I don’t understand? What did I do? Say maybe? I’ve recreated the whole thing in my mind and I don’t get it. Please talk to me...please?”

“You’re wasting time, 2 1/2 minutes left.”

“I don’t understand. We were talking and you got angry and asked me to leave. What did I say?”

“You took over my story again. You injected you into my narrative and deflected all the energy to yourself. I’ve asked you not to do that, I’ve had to put up with it my entire professional life as a lawyer. Now that I’m retired I won’t tolerate it any more.”

“I’m trying to understand, what I was trying to do was show I’d been there too and could understand.”

“But, it’s my story. When I’m through you can tell yours. Why is that so hard to understand? Don’t you believe me?”

“Yes I do, but I’m 75 and it’s very well established behavior patterns. I’m sorry, I’m trying. Let's try this again. Can we try again? Please say yes and I’ll work very hard at not stealing your narrative. I love you, Hill."

“Okay. I’m sorry David, I over reacted. I love you too. Please come. I’ll put water on for tea and we can sit on the magic sofa talking. You can rub my legs.”

“That’s an invite I can’t pass up. It’ll take me 15 minutes. Maybe we could lie on that cloud you call a bed and talk later.”

“I think that’s doable. Is there anything else?”

“A Star Trek Transporter? It would be faster. I’ll have to work on that.”

“Love you David, hurry.”

“On my way!”
© Copyright 2019 Paul (lasardaddy at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2196402-The-Narrative