*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2197379-The-Librarian
Rated: E · Short Story · Contest Entry · #2197379
The library. The place you go to get lost in new worlds and escape from your own reality.
Sarah walked up the familiar stone pathway leading to the front door of her favorite place in the world, the library. Beams of light shone through the beautiful stained glass windows she loved, and the smell of old books reached her nostrils. She went off in search of her favorite librarian, Mrs. Hawkins, who always gave her such wonderful suggestions for books to try.

She instead found another librarian who she didn't recognize. She was busily hurrying from aisle to aisle re-shelving books.

"Excuse me?" Sarah asked the unfamiliar woman. "Where is Mrs. Hawkins?"

The woman looked over at Sarah with an almost creepy smile that reached from ear to ear, her round glasses slipping down her nose. "She's not here anymore. I'm happy to help you with whatever you need."

"I'm looking for a new book to read. I'm thinking something fantasy. Any suggestions?" she asked her.

"Yes, I have just the book!" she said excitedly.

She skittered off to another aisle and came back with a book that looked massive in her small hands. "This is an amazing book. You'll really get lost in this one."

"Thank you," Sarah said as she took the book from her. The book's description talked of a fantasy world with heroes, villains and monsters and she was excited to dig in. She sat down on one of the couches in the reading room and opened the first page, ready to get lost in this new world. She was only a few words in when the book flew from her hands and landed on the floor in front of her, open to somewhere in the middle of the book. She felt this strange pulling sensation and suddenly she was gone.

The librarian heard the sound of the book hitting the floor, and smirked.

Word count: 300
© Copyright 2019 AbbyOlson (abbyc96 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2197379-The-Librarian