*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2197392-STAR-WARS-FRIENDLY-FIRE-Chapter-3
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Sci-fi · #2197392
Delta Squad Finds the Jedi Temple in flames. Palpatine hires Bounty hunters......

Disclaimer: I do not own Star Wars, or any of its properties ([Legends and Canon material alike] the Characters, the Planets, events, ships, Gear, etc. Mentioned in this story). All those belong to George Lucas, Lucasfilm, and Disney. I do however own "Shadow Squad's" Commander Shadow, Spooks, Umbra, Captain Gloom, and Shade, and The Rookie. This story is for entertainment purposes only.

Note: This story is not technically canon and is a work of FAN-FICTION, and was inspired by my love for the Republic Commandos. After seeing Delta Squad's brief appearance on the Clone Wars TV show, I wondered what a marriage of Canon and Legends material would look like if the members of Delta Squad showed up once again in the Canon universe. Thank you and enjoy.



Delta Squad's Attack Shuttle exited hyperspace and began its approach toward the planet, Coruscant: the sparkling capital of the Republic. As luck would have it, the shuttle had not been followed.

"You're sure they can't track us?" asked Vos, skeptically as he entered the cockpit.

Fixer nodded. "I disabled anything that Republic Forces could use to track this ship. We're not being followed."

"Good." Said Vos. "We need to head to the Jedi Temple as soon as possible and warn the Council about the Inhibitor Chips before any more Jedi commanders are ambushed by their clone forces."

In a matter of minutes, the Shuttle entered the planet's atmosphere and toward the many skyscrapers of the enormous planetwide city. The small fighter disappeared into mass of starships flying throughout the busy city.

Fixer and Scorch directed they ship through the city and towards the Jedi Temple, as the morning sun crept over the horizon; A sight that would usually be considered beautiful if not for what the Squad saw next...

The once proud Jedi Temple, one of the Crown jewels of Coruscant and the Republic, now stood in flames; a large pillar of dark smoke pouring from its tower.

Vos's eyes widened. "By the Force..." He gasped, in a state of horror and disbelief.

Boss entered the cockpit and placed a hand on Vos's shoulder. "I'm sorry, General...It's gone..."

For a few minutes, no one said anything. The sight before them was beyond words. They had arrived too late to prevent the massacre that had taken place at the Temple mere hours before their arrival.

Scorch was the first to break the silence. "What do we do now?" He asked.

Vos wiped a small tear from the corner of his eye, then composed himself. "We go into hiding. The Temple isn't safe anymore. We need to find somewhere to lay low for a while and resupply. I may still have a few connections in the Criminal Underworld on Level 1313 willing to help us out."


Famed bounty hunter, Boba Fett sat in a booth of one of the finer bounty hunter cantinas in Coruscant's underworld district of Level 1313 (which really was not saying much) as he browsed through the bar's DataCore looking for his syndicate's next bounty. Fett's shaved head (which was usually covered by the Mandalorian helmet on the table in front of him) disguised the teenage bounty hunter's age well. Seated across from Boba, was a Theelin female with strawberry-blond hair styled in pigtails, named Latts Razzi. A Kyuzo male wearing a large metallic hat, named Embo, sat in an adjacent booth, while his anooba, Marrok, slept quietly at its owner's feet. On the other side of the bar stood a green-skinned Trandoshan dressed in a yellow flight suit, known as Bossk and a combat droid, known as Highsinger stood beside him.

Fett's small holopad suddenly blinked, indicating that there was an incoming transmission for him. Reluctantly, the young bounty hunter pressed his holopad and answered.

A small Hologram of Chancellor Palpatine appeared on the holopad; his scarred face shrouded in shadow by the hood of the Chancellor's long robes. The entire cantina grew silent; its patrons were suddenly made aware that Fett was talking to the Chancellor himself.

"Boba Fett..." said the Chancellor.

The young bounty hunter remained calm, unintimidated by the Chancellor. "Chancellor..." He said, coolly. "To what do I owe this pleasure?"

"I have need of your services." The shadowy figure said dryly. "You will be paid generously... should you accept my proposition."

"You have my attention." Said Boba, raising an eyebrow.

"It has come to my attention that a squad of Clone Commandos has committed high treason by disobeying my direct orders and deserting the war effort with their Jedi commander, Quinlan Vos." The Chancellor continued. "Whom I'm told you have been acquainted with the Jedi?"

"Briefly," Boba said. "But it was not an association I'd make again"

"It matters not..." replied the Chancellor. "My sources believe the clones have come to Coruscant and are using the Jedi's connections in the criminal underworld located in the lower levels of the planet to hide. Your methods are of no interest to me, but I want the clone deserters eliminated."

"What about the Jedi?"

"The Jedi will be dealt with..." A crooked smile appeared on the Chancellor's scarred lips. "... In time. But he is of no concern to me at the moment. Your targets are the clone deserters of Delta Squad. Eliminate them at all costs."

"As you wish." Said Boba, as the hologram of the Chancellor winked out.

Fett withdrew his Hunter Image Caster from a pouch on his belt and downloaded all the files available on Delta Squad. The young bounty hunter stood, placing his Mandalorian helmet over his head, and looked at his team.

"You heard him. We've got a job to do."


The small Attack Shuttle began its descent to the lower levels of Coruscant. Soon the sky was a distant memory. After what seemed like an eternity, the shuttle finally docked on a landing pad of level 1313. As the crew walked down the down the ships loading ramp, Vos turned to the Clone commandos.

"Watch your step. Crime is an everyday occurrence down here." said Vos. "My contact will be waiting for us in the market."

The group moved further into the dark crime-ridden and poverty-stricken underworld dimly lit by artificial lights; the clones were amazed by how many homeless refugees littered the streets.

"There's so many..." said Scorch, passing a group of beggars.

Vos nodded. "Many of these refugees will go their whole lives without seeing the sky, let alone the surface level."

Vos and the clones of Delta Squad rounded an alleyway and made their way into the market district. The market place was busy with criminals and mercenaries all trying to buy gear and weapons from many of its Black-Market vendors.

Vos scanned the crowd for his contact. "My contact should be here any--"

"My Friend...I say, My Friend..." called a Weequay, as he made his way through the busy crowd toward the group.

The Weequay wore a long red duster that billowed about him with each step. On his head he wore a helmet and large goggles. Unlike many of his race, the Weequay carried himself like an aristocrat, his head held high; a trait that no one around him seemed to pay any attention to.

Vos turned to the Weequay approaching them and smiled. "Hondo Ohnaka."

"Quinlan Vos. You are a sight for sore eyes." Hondo said in a smooth voice. The Weequay gestured to the crowded market. "I have not seen this many liars and cheaters since I fired my traitorous crew..." - He sighed, taking a moment to reminisce - "Ah...Good times."

The Weequay Pirate turned back to Vos, noticing the Jedi's robes.

"This is not a good time to be dressed as a Jedi, I think." He said, a hint of confusion in his voice. The Weequay quickly seized the opportunity to turn the conversation into a business proposition. "So... For a small fee..."

Vos crossed his arms and raised an eye brow.

"Ah! Kidding. Kidding." The Weequay Pirate laughed nervously. "As it just so happens, you are catching me on a good day. I will help you, free of charge!"

"How generous of you." Vos said, knowing full well that had not been the Weequay Pirate's original intention. He pointed at the Clone Commandos standing behind him. "This is Delta Squad."

Hondo took a step towards the Clone Commandos, admiring their Katarn-class Commando armor.

"You know...Commando Armor is very profitable on the Black-Market. I could--"

Hondo placed his hand on Sev's shoulder armor. The Clone turned his head to the Weequay Pirate.

"Do you value that hand?" said Sev, daringly.

The Weequay Pirate slowly and cautiously removed his hand from the Clone Commando's armor, then took a step closer to Vos.

"On second thought, I think you should keep the armor." He said, visibly uncomfortable with the way the clone commando was looking at him.

A large crowd began to gather in front of a large holoscreen outside one of the local establishments. The live newsfeed of a scarred and hooded Chancellor Palpatine addressing the Senate appeared on the screen. The group turned their attention to the holoscreen.

"The Jedi hoped to unleash their destructive power against the Republic by assassinating the head of government and usurping control of the clone army..."

"Can you believe this garbage?" Vos said shaking his head, as he continued watching the screen.

"The remaining Jedi will be Hunted down and defeated! Any collaborators will suffer the same fate..."

Sev looked at his clone brothers. "I guess that means us."

"The attempt on my life has left me scarred and deformed, but I assure you my resolve has never been stronger..."

Vos turned to the group. "We need to keep moving before someone spots us."

"It is now a good time to lose those Jedi clothes, I think..." said Hondo gravely.

"I think you're right." Agreed Vos.

"In order to ensure our security and continued stability, the Republic will be reorganized into the first Galactic Empire..."

The group moved away as the crowd roared and cheered. They did not need to hear the rest of the speech. They'd heard enough.

***

After ditching his Jedi robes and tunic, and changing into clothes better suited for someone trying to pass as a low-life bounty hunter, Quinlan Vos tucked his lightsaber into the inner pocket of the jacket that covered the "new" bounty hunter he now wore on his chest. He then placed a small blaster pistol in the holster hanging at his side.

Vos turned to the clones and pirate, showing off his bounty hunter disguise.

"What do you think?" He asked.

Hondo clapped his hands together in delight. "Very nice! Very nice! What did I tell you? The Jedi certainly knows how to blend in."

The Clones looked at each other, then back to Vos. "This will all be for nothing if someone sees your face, Sir." Said Fixer.

"Hmmm...The clone has a point." Said Hondo, putting a hand to his chin. Suddenly his eyes lit up. "Ah! Wait right here! I have just the thing!"

After a few minutes, the Weequay Pirate returned; carrying a Dune Sea Drifter helmet in his hands.

"Let it never be said that Hondo Ohnaka never went out of his way to help a Jedi." Hondo said proudly, handing the helmet to Vos.

"Not bad." said the Jedi, smiling as he inspected the helmet.

"You would not believe what I went through to get that." Said Hondo. "I was on Mos Eisley and--"

"Another time." Interrupted Vos, turning to Delta Squad. "If we hurry, we can catch a transport off-world."

"'An excellent idea!" Agreed Hondo.

Vos began walking away, until he realized the Commandos had not followed him. He turned back to them.

"You're not coming, are you?"

"Negative, Sir." said Boss. "You'll have a better chance disappearing without us painting a target on your back."

Vos thought for a moment, then realized the clone was right.

"Then this is where we part." Vos held out his hand. To his surprise, the leader of Delta Squad shook the Jedi's hand.

"It's been an honor, General. We owe you a lot."

Vos slid the Dune Sea Drifter helmet over his head, then walked away from the group. Good luck, Delta Squad. May the Force be with you...He thought to himself, as he vanished into the crowd.

The Clones stood in silence for a moment...until Hondo broke the silence.

"'Such a noble sacrifice..." said Hondo, pretending to wipe a tear from his eye. In seconds, he was back to his old self. "Well! All this charity has been very unprofitable. Extremely bad for business. I bid you good day!"

With that, the Pirate walked away from Delta Squad.


A short time later, Hondo walked towards a nearby cantina for a drink, grumbling to himself. Before he reached the door, the Pirate felt the barrel of a blaster press into his back.

"Oh, what a day this has been..." He said angerly to himself under his breath, raising his hands in the air. "I don't have any more credits. You clones have bled me dry."

"Hello, Hondo..."

To the Pirate's surprise, the voice behind him belonged, not to a clone commando, but to the young bounty hunter, Boba Fett. Boba pressed his blaster into Hondo's back a little bit harder.

"Ah! Boba... It's been a long time." Said Hondo with a smile.

The bounty hunter did not lower his blaster.

"We received a tip that a Jedi was seen down here accompanied by four Clone deserters wearing commando armor. You wouldn't happen to know anything about that, would you?"

"Me? Oh, I try not to associate myself with such traitorous individuals." -Boba pressed the blaster even harder into the Pirate's back - "Oh, those clones! Of course! Though, there was no Jedi with them the last time I saw them."

The young bounty hunter pulled his blaster back a little, still pressing the barrel against the pirate's back.

"I would be happy to provide information on the whereabouts of the clone commandos... for a small price, of course." Said Hondo with a small smile.



To be Continued


© Copyright 2019 Darth-Slayer (darth-slayer19 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2197392-STAR-WARS-FRIENDLY-FIRE-Chapter-3