*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2199751-The-Mansion-in-the-Woods
Rated: ASR · Fiction · Contest · #2199751
Flash Fiction challenge
The old abandoned mansion deep in the woods had laid dormant for many years, tempting the kids and teenagers of the surrounding neighborhoods to go wandering through the aging, broken down house.

The door creaked loudly as Oliver opened it, Hannah standing just behind him, excitement flowing through her at the prospect of exploring the place. They walked into the large front room where they saw a grand staircase that they could tell was once beautiful, but was now so broken that it looked like someone would step right through it. As brave as they wanted to be, they decided to stay on the first floor.

They walked down the hallway next to the staircase and entered the first room on the left, which appeared to be a large bedroom. A tall bookcase full of books stood in the corner of the room.

"This place is so cool!" Oliver exclaimed as they explored the room.

Just as he said that, the door behind them shut, making the two jump and turn around. A book then flew off of the bookcase and hit Hannah in the back of the head. She screamed as she brought her hand up to her now throbbing head. They could hear a scratching sound coming from outside the closed door.

"We need to get out of here right now!" Hannah yelled.

The only way out was through the door the scratching was coming from. Oliver forced himself to be as brave as possible and he swung the door open. There was nothing there and the sound stopped the second the door opened. The two of them ran as fast as they could out of the room, down the hall, and back out the front door, their hearts pounding and legs carrying them faster than ever before.
© Copyright 2019 AbbyOlson (abbyc96 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2199751-The-Mansion-in-the-Woods