*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2202439-The-Greatest-Sacrifice
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Death · #2202439
How much do you care about your child's welfare? Would you sacrifice everything for them?
My tearstained eyes met hers. "Mommy, what are you doing?" She asked.
"What I should have done years ago, baby. I just wanted to tell you that mommy loves you very much, and you are the best daughter I could have ever asked for." I leaned down and kissed her forehead. "Now go back to sleep." I watched as sleep took over her little body, and her eyelids fluttered shut. I sighed as I knew I would never get to see them open again. I picked up her limp body,and carried her to her bed, savoring the relaxing breaths that rippled through her body. Laying her tenderly down, I relized what I would be missing out on. Her entire life! But my pain was too unbearable. I opened the bottle, and selecting eighteen pills, I drowned them in water, and felt as every last one slipped down my throat.
*****************************************
I opened my eyes. Where was I? I did not know. Who was I? Then it all came flooding back to me: the suicide attempt. Nurses rushed into my tiny hospital room, and asked me questions. But I could not answer them until they told me where she was. But I couldn't speak. I couldn't breathe. I could only see, and think. I felt myself drifting away, losing consciousness, but it was wrong. I tried pinching myself, only to find no results. I then understood. This was death. This was me making the greatest sacrifice a mother could make for a child. I had taken out a $40,000 life insurance on myself a week prior. This money would be Harper's, so she could live a live better thsn the one she was born with. So I was satisfied.
© Copyright 2019 Mia Anderson (iamsoshooketh at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2202439-The-Greatest-Sacrifice