*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2203531-Making-a-Day
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2203531
Flash Fiction
Making a Day

Ted watched the old woman walking out of the shop, struggling with her heavy bag. Rushing over he asked, “Do you need help?”

She looked up, startled, then seeing Ted, smiled. “Oh, how nice! Yes, young man, could you carry this?”

“Sure,” he said, reaching for the heavy bag, “where are you going?”

“Oh, just the bus stop, see, it’s coming now.”

Ted looked, a bus was coming down the street. They picked up speed, as much as possible, and made it to the bus stop just as the bus pulled up.

Ted helped her onto the bus, and to a seat, putting her bag in her lap. “Here you go,” he smiled.

“You are the nicest young man! You have just made my day!” she said, smiling. He got back off the bus, happy.

As the bus left, Ted walked up the street feeling really good. When he got to the store, where he’d first met the elderly lady, he smiled even more at the memory.

Just then a man ran out the door of the store. “Did you see an old lady with a big blue bag?” he said.

“Yes, she just got on that bus,” Ted answered, pointing down the street. The bus was a couple blocks away already.

“She stole three necklaces, worth over seven thousand dollars!!!” the man yelled, running back into the store.

Ted stood there in shock for a moment. His mind raced, was he a witness? An accessory!? She used him! She never would have made it to the bus in time if he hadn’t helped her. That crafty old coot!!!

Suddenly, at the thought of an eighty something year old woman pulling off a heist of over seven thousand dollars, he laughed out loud.

Frankly, it made his day.
© Copyright 2019 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2203531-Making-a-Day