*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2204715-Why-the-constitution-is-important
Rated: E · Essay · Political · #2204715
Why the constitution is important
The Constitution is so important because it limited the power of the federal government, implemented a set of rights that can’t be taken away and because it implemented elections to choose the new leader of the government.
First of all, it limited the powers of the federal government and handed down any of the powers that the federal government didn’t have to the state governments as stated in the tenth amendment. The reason this is so important is that it will make it so the federal government can’t go tyrannical as Germany and Italy had in the 1930s and 40s. Another thing that the constitution did to limit the powers of the federal government is making a set of checks and balances between 3 different branches of the federal government in articles 1, 2 and 3, which are the executive, judicial and legislative. The executive branch consists of the President, Vice President, and 15 Cabinet members who all head a department in the executive branch. The Judicial branch is in charge of deeming if laws are constitutional or not and consists of several courts of which the highest one is the Supreme Court which consists of 9 justices. The Legislative branch has 2 chambers the house of representatives which currently has 435 seats. The current speaker of the house is Nancy Pelosi and the senate which consists of 100 senators, 2 from each state. The senate majority leaders are Mitch McConnell and Chuck Schumer.
Secondly, the Bill of Rights is made up of 10 amendments, 17 more have been added on since, but let’s focus on the first 10. The first amendment guarantees the right to freedom of speech even if the speech is unpopular or hurtful and it also says that you have the right to freedom of religion, the second amendment states that United States citizens have the right to own a gun to keep the government from going tyrannical, the third amendment says that in a time of peace no citizen will be forced to have a soldier quartered in their house, the fourth amendment guarantees that there shall not be any unlawful searching or seizing of property, the fifth amendment guarantees the right to be silent, the sixth amendment guarantees the right to an impartial jury and the right to public trial, the seventh amendment states that you have the right to appeal a trial if you feel the first ruling was unfair, the eighth amendment says that no cruel or unusual punishment shall be imposed, the ninth amendment says that the bill of rights shall not be violated by government and the tenth amendment says that any powers that the federal government doesn’t have are given to each state.
Finally, the constitution established the electoral college which is the system we use to elect the president and vice president originally as read in article 2 section 1 of the constitution and was updated in the twelfth amendment. Article 2 section 1 said that the second in running would be elected vice president, that rule made some weird pairings like George Washington and John Adams. In the twelfth amendment, it changed how the electoral worked in the fact that there was now a primary to choose candidates then said candidates choose a running mate for the vice presidency. This system has gone under recent scrutiny after the 2016 election where Hillary Clinton won the popular vote but Donald Trump won more electoral votes this happened because of how much Hillary beat Trump by in Californa.
In conclusion, the constitution is the most important document is not only in American history but in the history of mankind.
© Copyright 2019 Fooballguy34 (fooball at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2204715-Why-the-constitution-is-important