*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2205269-The-Trigger
by BXC
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Sci-fi · #2205269
Time travel gone wrong. Flash fiction.
The Trigger

Quietly, he opened the door to the garage. Sure enough, there she was, sitting there, working on her newest project, hair pulled back, lips pursed, eyes aglow as slowly the time machine came together.
Shaking, he drew the gun from its holster- the gun she had made and given him. He knew the consequences of what he was about to do. He could see the slight bump in her belly, where his own fetus lay. He knew that the second he pulled the trigger he and her would both cease to exist.
But things had gotten so out of hand. Corporates using the time machine for money, accidentally causing all sorts of alterations along the way. Criminals using it to slaughter their rivals. Governments using it as a means of warfare.
The CIA was right. There was only one way to fix this now.
Robert paused for a moment, hesitant. His mother didn’t notice him.
It was only selflessness that drove Robert to take the next few steps. There was nothing in this for him, only oblivion. But all of humanity was at stake. He couldn’t fail.
Finally he got to the point where he stood directly over her, where he could no longer excuse coming closer with the thought that he might miss. Slowly he raised the gun.
Memories flooded back, of her holding him, ofthe day he had left his home to train with the CIA, of her hugging him as their futures diverged paths. And of the day she had died the first time around, her hand slowly slipping out of his.
Now he would kill her, and not the cancer.
He closed his eyes, sucked in breath, let it out. Still she did not notice him.
His hand curled around the lever. A single tear escaped his left eye.
And finally, when the tear hit the ground, she looked up and saw him, and for a moment, just a moment, pure fear flickered across her eyes.
And then he pulled the trigger.

© Copyright 2019 BXC (mastercole at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2205269-The-Trigger